HELP!!Philosophy of education/Danielson

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by AuntieM, Sep 30, 2005.

1. AuntieM

AuntieM Rookie

Sep 30, 2005

I am hoping that someone who is experienced at this will offer me some help? What is a district looking for in a philosophy of education entry of a portfolio?
    I have written one, however I am not sure if it is lacking substance, or sounds too technical, like I don't have a passion for my students, but know the domains!. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has completed this task and learned what the interviewer may be looking for.
    I tried to follow Danielson's Framework Domains, but it seems a bit scripted.
    Thanks

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2005

Years back when I was in college and had to write my philosophy of education I was told by many people in various positions in many districts that they were looking for the thought "every child can learn." So I went with this and wrote a philosophy statement that revolved around that. It must have been the right thing because I got a job on my second interview.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 30, 2005

I had to write my philosophy of education for my teacher of the year portfolio. I don't have my final draft here, I finished it at school, but here's the rough draft I was working from:
    My philosophy of teaching is simple: All kids can learn. They may not learn at the same level or with the same style, but they all have the capabilities of learning.
    When I look back at my own education I know that I wasn’t always taught in a way that worked for me. I received good grades because I had a good memory and a mother that supported and pushed me to succeed. However, I spent a lot of time sitting in a desk with a teacher talking and me not getting a word of it. It wasn’t until I entered my education classes that I learned of all the different learning styles. My experiences as a student have completely affected and directed my teaching. I feel, as a teacher, that I must strive to reach all of those learning styles. If I limit my teaching to one style, I am only reaching part of my kids.
    I also know that students have changed from when I was one. Some are facing horrific situations at home and learning is their last priority. Some are being bounced from home to home; some are facing medical issues…the list goes on and on. For better or worse, teachers today must know more about their students beyond what they do in the classroom. They must be prepared to support students with tough situations and to modify the classroom as they need.
    We face an additional challenge teaching today. We are competing with Nintendo, Play Station, Internet, MTV, and so on. Students are driven by their stimulation. Sometimes you have to put on a dog and pony show to bring it home to them.
    There are also more special needs, inclusion children in the classroom than ever before. Children are entering classrooms every day with diagnoses ranging from ADD to OCD and everything in between. A teacher can’t just sit back, teach one way, and expect to reach all students. They must be prepared to teaching in a variety of ways, to a variety of levels, and to modify lessons, quizzes, etc to meet the needs of each individual student in their room.

5. AuntieM

AuntieM Rookie

Oct 1, 2005

Philosophy of teaching/thank you

Thank you, for your reply to my query.
    Your reply was very helpful. Student teaching has been so exciting for me, to see the realities of what teachers face everyday. I am learning so much about how I will structure my own classroom for the different types of learners.
    I appreciate your willingness to help! I have found that sometimes the student teacher is treated more like a teacher aide, than a pre-service teacher. I feel I am qualified to be an effective teacher and yet I still need to hear from my peers that I am doing the right things to be a successful teacher. After all, these co-operating teachers have years of experience behind them to offer advice and support.