Help!! Parental support

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Iteach782, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

How do you help to increase parental support? I don't mean by parental involvement in the classroom, but I mean support at home. How do I get my parents to help their kids with their homework, to help with their reading, or to just simply care about their grades, spelling tests, etc.?? HELP!

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

I don't think you can. :( The best thing you can do is to encourage.

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

If you haven't read Ruby Payne's Framework of Poverty, check it out. It will probably put everything in perspective for you. Good luck!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

If we knew the answer to that question, I think every kid would be acing everything all the time.

My advice is to reach out to the parents who are able to come in and meet with you for things like conferences and open house. Tell them that you'd like them to sit with their kids for XX number of minutes each night--something reasonable. If they can, they will.

As for the students whose parents aren't as involved for whatever reason, just do the best you can during the time you have them in class. Consider grading completed portions of assignments and ignoring some of what wasn't finished, especially if you know about a rocky home situation.

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

I second this. It's a great book!

7. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I want to read this book. Payne is coming to the local university in
    September to speak. I can't wait to hear her. I am also attending a workshop in October!!

As for parental support...I wish I had an answer. I'm lucky to get 7 or 8 parents to show up for conferences. Most parents simply think it is the job of the teachers to educate their children, and none of the responsibility belongs to them. I could go on forever about this, but I won't. I will just get upset.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

If anyone had an answer to this question, she/he would be a millioniare!

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Hmmm, as some tell you, it could be difficult. Some parents just won't do much at home. The question is, for those parents who are on the edge, how to push them over into actively helping their child.

I would suspect praising their child (to them) might help. Tell them how smart their child is or what kind of intellectual growth you're seeing. Because, besides the fear of putting their child into your hands, of giving their child over to a complete stranger to run part of their day, there is a certain jealousy. I admit I'm particularly bad in this regard; I feel jealous if a teacher teaches my child anything for the first time.

Just a thought, unsupported by any kind of real research, but it might work.