Help - out of teaching for decade, want back in!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Maddie, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Maddie

Maddie New Member

Jan 16, 2013

Can anyone suggest a book or online course which will refresh my memory about basic teaching skills, lingo (especially lingo, for interviews!), etc? I barely remember the word pedagogy and have forgotten allll about Vygotsky or whoever!! :help:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2013

An interviiewis about so much more than buzzwords and lingo. Unless you can demonstrate an understanding of and experience with current thoughts and best practices in education, you are not going to be considered a competitive candidate. That said, you should immerse yourself in and have a working knowledge of:
    CCSS
    RTI
    New teacher evaluations
    New state testing requirements

Would you consider subbing or getting a par job to get current experience?

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2013

As czacza suggested, subbing can help you get your foot in the so you can show competence in the classroom, but also you can get up to date. Read the interview threads here too - lots of good information.
    You can do it. I was out of the classroom longer than you've been and a LTS job helped me land a job.

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jan 20, 2013

I might even suggest volunteering in classrooms first, before subbing. That way, you can observe current teachers and pick up some new skills from them. You could probably also get a lot of info about the Common Core (CCSS) and Response to Intervention (RTI).

You could also volunteer or work at an after school program. It might help your nerves if you practice/"freshen up" your skills with one-on-one or small group teaching first before you're left in charge of an entire classroom. (I know it'd help me, at least!)