Help! Opinions, please!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 9, 2008.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2008

As promised (in another thread), I will be making the rounds of schools at which I would like to teach tomorrow morning. Here's my question: What do I wear? I have several options, ranging from the extremely professional/dressy/hot/uncomfortable suit to separates, both skirt & pants. Personally, I prefer pants, because I don't tend to look as short in them, but would separates be dressy enough? Do I go in looking as if I already have an interview scheduled? Pppuuulllleeeeezzzzeee! Someone help!

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

I can only tell you what I wear, although I am sure some feel that you should go with the suit. Anyways, in the winter I do where a suit, but for the summer I have a black linen short sleeve dress with sling back heels. It's very professional, but airy enough to not feel hot and stuffy.

Good Luck tomorrow!!!

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2008

I was always told they should be able to picture you in the classroom doing the job. One principal hired me because of my shoes - the other candidates were wearing heels and I wore flats. I say dress comfortably but professionally. So not a suit or anything, but maybe a nice shirt and pants or a skirt. Good luck!

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 9, 2008

How about a nice pair of dress slacks and a blouse? Since you are going to be in and out of your car all day, you may want to look and feel comfortable, but still professional.

Best of luck BTW !

6. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I would think that you go almost interview ready....because you may have to come back and interview.
    Is this scheduled or are you just dropping by? Of course as professional as possible, though.

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

I would wear dress slacks and a blouse also. That is what I wear on interviews though. It looks better on me than a full suit. Good luck!

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

I agree with the others, wear something nice and professional looking but comfortable. You may or may not actually find someone there so be professional in case you do but also be comfortable enough where you will be ready to be in a car most of the morning. Either a professional looking blouse/skirt or blouse/slacks would be my opinion with comfortable but nice shoes.

Good luck Pwhatley.... there is a class out there that is going to be extremely lucky to have you as their teacher. :)

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 9, 2008

I would also wear a pair of dress pants and a blouse, but I would add a matching blazer to the outfit. You don't actually have to wear it all day, just have it with you "just in case".

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2008

:blush: Awww Melissa! You always make me blush! Thanks!

I have about 12 articles of clothing (& several pairs of shoes) on my bed right now, PLUS 3 pairs of pantyhose (I won't wear a skirt without 'em). My dh is out of town right now, so I can't bother him about this. Y'all are definitely helping. Oh, the weather report for tomorrow is mid-90s and very humid! Hopefully, I can put it all away & get some sleep soon! Right now, I'm trying to gather all of my paperwork in a semi-professional way. I really don't want to carry a briefcase - it's just more than I want to fuss with. I may end up with a box (on the passenger front seat) that contains everything, and right before I enter the school (if open), I will put exactly what I will need for that school in my clipboard that has storage in it. Waddya think?

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2008

Good idea, mmswm - I can keep it hung in the back seat so it doesn't get wrinkley, and only use it when necessary. Except... I won't know before I get there if the principal will be there, so I'll have to go ahead & put the blazer on at each school.... Okay, this WILL work out!

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 9, 2008

The box/clipboard idea is a good one.

I had a thought...I live in extreme south florida and a number of my suits are designed for hot weather. Do you have anything like this? My favorite one is a black pants suit that's casual as suits go and the fabric is on the thinish side. The jacket that goes with it is also on the thinish side and is designed to wear open over a shirt or shell. I typically wear it with a very thin dark colored button down shirt. It looks great even without the jacket. If you don't own something like that maybe you could put together something close with what you already own.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 9, 2008

You don't have to put the blazer on...just carry it over your arm.

This sort of thing is common here where it is VERY hot and humid outside, but everybody turns the a/c down to 65 and you freeze your hiney off.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2008

I am dropping by because I have no other way of approaching the principals LOL! This is actually what the school board personnel offices suggested I do!

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2008

I agree w/ carrying the blazer. Wear a nice/cute dress top.

Good Luck!!!

16. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Ok, that is a great idea, I have heard that it can open doors! Best of Luck!
    I know you will do GREAT!

17. dodobird

dodobird Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Good Luck...you will do great!! I agree with the other posters about professional, yet comfortable...carry you blazer...it will make you look "serious"...wear pants and top...heels...PERFECTION!!

Best of luck!

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

Good luck pwhatley - be confident, and shine :)

19. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

Good luck!!!:up:

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

How did it go today?

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Hope everything went well!!!

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2008

I was "on my game," ready to go, sure I was going to blow any principal I met away, but I couldn't find a single school at which someone was there! I went to 6 schools, then decided that was enough for today. :eek:hmy: It was 95 degrees outside, and my clothes were starting to show it, so I'll try again on Monday (after my job interview!). On a Friday, during the summer, when they don't have to be there, I really don't expect that I would find anyone at any of the schools. I have emailed every principal, and called each school. One principal was nice enough to email me back and let me know she had no current openings, which will save me some gas at least, lol!

23. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

Sorry you didn't find anyone there today, but back up a second.. what thread did I miss about a "job interview"?

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2008

ROFL! Yesterday afternoon, one of the principals (for one of my "preferred" schools - translation: within driving range) called and offered me an interview for a 1st grade classroom position!

Although I am still a little daunted at the thought of first graders at the beginning of the school year! I just learned a couple of years ago that kindergarten is not required in Louisiana! :down: It's not required, but there are Grade Level Expectations for kindergarteners, who are supposed to be reading by the end of k! :eek:

Some 1st grade teachers have told me that brand new 1st graders range from those who have never been taught anything (including Sesame Street), to those who are reading like 2nd & 3rd graders!

25. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I think you could be up for the challenge! Also, once you're in...you can always try to move up!

26. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

ALRIGHT!!!!

Pwhatley, don't let beginning of the year first graders scare you... just be prepared for a question about how you would deal with the varying levels of students which can be in a 1st grade classroom.

I can definitely tell you that levels will vary in one classroom but that happens normally anywhere. I had 2nd graders one year that the majority were between PK-K level in reading that was totally different than the next year where I had kids that were anywhere from K to 6th grade reading level (still 2nd grade).

Have your plan for differentiation worked out and you will knock her socks off :)

This is probably the class that has been waiting for you to be their awesome teacher... and if not she doesn't know what she is passing on....

Another question? Wasn't the LTS in 1st Grade?

27. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2008

Buck8teacher, thanks for the vote of confidence! I am much less "afraid" of 1st graders than I used to be, largely because...

MelissainGA, yes, my lts last spring was as a 1st grade teacher, but these were practically 2nd graders, since it was only the last 6 weeks of school.

I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but I received my certification via an alternate certification process. I was fortunate in that I did not have to work as a teacher (or outside my home) while I went through the process, and was allowed to take a couple of extra classes. I was also very blessed in that I was able to student teach for a semester (3rd grade). Unfortunately, it was only during that student teaching semester (& subbing afterward) that I began to learn how much I did not learn/was not taught in my certification classes!

Another blessing I have enjoyed is that just a couple of weeks ago, I went through the week-long Learning Essentials for Teachers of Reading & Spelling (LETRS). I learned more in one week (hands-on, practical, how-to information) than I did in 2.5 years of certification training! :(

I think I can handle teaching first graders, it's just a little daunting. It is SO VERY important, because this is the year that can set the tone for a child's entire educational lifetime. I am not going to turn it down, by any means. I'll just be leaning heavily on some of my resources here! :D

28. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

Anything I can do to help... no problem... you better ask....

second no :( allowed on the fact that you learned more through practical application than you did in certification training. We can all say that.

I went the regular certification route, I still learned more through practial hands on application with kids than I did sitting in class and reading a book. Being in the classroom with the kids allowed me to see if the things covered in the book actually worked or not... majority of the time... welllllll.. let's just say it usually had to be tweaked a bit to be beneficial.

You will do a wonderful job.. you better just let us know when she offers you the position before you leave the interview :).

29. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2008

I have been sitting in the recliner in my den, going through Harry Wong's procedure list, printed-out threads from here and articles from Teachers.net, etc., and my own notes on Classroom Management, Discipline, & Procedures. I want to develop (as best I can without knowing what grade I will be teaching for sure) my own classroom management plan.

I actually took a classroom management course (not required) during my certification process, but it was pretty much a joke. I tend to be pretty liberal-minded, but according to this teacher, every misbehavior had a psychological, social, or cultural reason behind it! Personally, I believe in the benefit of counseling (having benefited from it myself) and the effects of psychological & social problems/morays. However, sometimes kids misbehave just because they choose to! My daughter was pretty ADHD (back when girls "didn't get it"), but she learned to behave in class (I think they call that coping mechanisms).

Anyway, sorry about the rant - that's NOT where I was going with this, lol! I am going to write out this plan and aim it towards younger grades like 1st. That way, if I do get hired for it (I never count my chickens until they hatch), I will already have a huge part of it done!

I am also going to at least read through the brand new (state-wide) Comprehensive Curriculum for first grade. Knowing myself, I will probably make notes about it, too.

Any suggestions for interviewing for a first grade position are more than welcome!

As usual, I apologize for the length of my post! I was never this verbose until I became an AtoZ addict!:lol:

30. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I went to a school known for it's teaching program, and while I feel that I learned a lot about education, and felt confident in the classroom as a result of my training, I still feel I have so much more to learn as a teacher. It depends on your district, your kids, etc. We are all learning, and like the pp poster said, I learned so much more in the classroom with kids,than through a book!

31. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

Oh whatley! I am sorry it didn't work out today! But am happy to hear about the interview on Monday. :) I think that writing out a management plan is a fantastic idea! You will be so ahead of the game. Plus, in most interviews I had, that was one of the first questions asked.
    Good luck on Monday! I'll say a prayer!

32. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

I bet you'll have much better results on Monday or Tuesday. I'll be praying for you about your interview. If you want some fantastic differentiation ideas check out http://www.crystalspringsbooks.com/...n/differentiated-instruction/Page_2/6950.html
    I've heard Betty Hollas speak several times and she is fantastic. There's lots of good things in here!

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2008

Thanks, y'all! You guys (gals) are sooo good for my self esteem!