Help on studying for Praxis II Edu. of Except. Students: Core Content Knowledge 0353

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by albrown, May 27, 2009.

1. albrown

albrown Rookie

May 27, 2009

I am registered to take the Praxis II Core Content Knowledge 0353 on July 25, 2009. I am needing any advice or suggestions on what to study for this exam. I have many years of experience working with inclusion students. I am planning on switching positions this next school year and need to pass this exam. Has anyone taken this test? What material did you use to prepare for the test? I have found a Cliffs Test Prep book by Cliff Notes and an ETS Praxis II Study Guide for 0353. Which of these is the best?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2009

"The best" is the resource that works for you, albrown. (I've known people who swear by the Cliffs books for California's exams, and I've known people who swear at them.)

I haven't looked at the Tests at a Glance doc (the free test-prep materials on the Praxis Web site) for 0353, but I'd recommend that you do so: it's a good overview of what can and cannot be on the test, in fairly general terms, and as such it's a good shopping list of general topics to look up on the Internet and internalize. I'll guess that, unlike many Praxis II exams, this one does actually test your knowledge of teaching practice and possibly even special education law, so it would make sense to study both - but to keep the load from feeling unmanageable, remember to think in terms of how what you need to know is LIKE what you already know and do rather than UNLIKE. For the terminology you need to know, practice applying it in the classroom you're now in, or practice using it to describe classrooms you've taught in or seen in the past.

Best of luck!

4. who me

who me Rookie

May 28, 2009

I took the test a couple of years ago. I felt the ETS study guide was very worthwhile. It suggests to you which areas you will need to know. I studied topics and terminology covered on the practice test. Although the questions differed on the version of the test I took, the practice test steered me in the right direction to begin my preparation. Study the laws, all about IEP's, and characteristics of all exceptionalities. Watch out for words such as all, every and never. I found a book by Scholastic at B&N in the parents' reference section that described the various exceptionalities which was also helpful. I allowed myself about the same amount of time before the test to study as what you have and found it to be more than enough time. I was taking two different tests on the same day (dual certification) so I was splitting my time studying for both while working fulltime during that period. Best wishes to you.

5. jazzy

jazzy Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

I am also in the same position and will be taking the test July 25 also. Any tips anyone has would be welcomed.