HELP.....OFFER WHAT SHOULD I DO????????

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs.Bran, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Okay, I really need some imput here. I was offered a third grade job at a private school about 10 minutes ago. I have until tomorrow afternoon to give them an answer.

Pros:
    It is a certain job
    My son who has Cystic Fibrosis could come with me (The CF is important because he takes meds at school.)
    I would only have about 16 kids in my class
    45 minutes of prep time a day (plus one hour of lunch and 30 minutes of recess)
    It is 5 minutes from my house

Cons:
    The money is about 30% less than I would make at a public school. But there have been very few elementary jobs posted around here, and I only have middle school experience.

What should I do? Do I take the job that is offered or turn it down and hope SOMETHING else comes up? I am a terrible gambler, and I don't know what to do.

Oh yeah, school starts on Aug, 13th here so tick, tock!

What would you do?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

I'm saying take the job.

The part about your son is a big one. You'll be far more comfortable if he's nearby. And a class of 16 with a 5 minute commute are conditions most people would envy.

And, while 30% of a public school salary would certainly help you financially, it's the end of July-- there's no guarantee that there's a public elementary school planning to call you tomorrow.

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Would the 30% made at a public school be spent on childcare for your son? Would you have peace-of-mind with your son in the same school as you? Five minutes away=gas savings. Also, nothing says that you have to keep this job forever; there is always next year. Are public school possiblilities almost nil at this point? It is a tough decision, but you listed more pros than cons!

5. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Alice and engmom have made good points. If it's less, that could be OK because you'll be saving in other areas and have the peace of mind knowing that your son is near. I would take it and get ready for school to start.

6. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

It is going to cost me $350 a month to put him in Kindergarten there. This is still cheaper than what I paid for part time preschool for him. The reg tuition there is $700 a month.

Should I keep interviewing?

7. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I say take it. It seems to fit well with your family, being that your son could go there. You can't beat a 5 min commute.

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Only you know if the $350 will cause financial difficulty. Were you planning to send your son there even if you found a job somewhere else? If you teach public middle school he is not going to be with you, and honestly, with school starting in 3 weeks, this job offer is a sure thing. If the $350 is a problem, is there a public school nearby your son can attend? I know it would be great to have him in the same school, but I didn't realize that you have to pay tuition. That increases your 30% loss-not that your son isn't worth it, but you seem to be very concerned. If it were me, I would accept the job, and try it for one year. You can always look again next year. In the meantime, you will be able to monitor your son's first year in school.

9. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Are you saying that you get a discount? Even around here, that's pretty cheap for childcare. I'd still go for it, esp. if it's cheaper than what you've been paying for preschool. And, it sure is worth it for the peace of mind knowing that he's close. You can always make other arrangements/find another job next year.

I know that it's your decision and a tough one it is. Good luck to you. I know that you will be guided to the right decision for you and your son.

10. Xgomenara9

Xgomenara9 Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I would try to get a public school job still but take this private school job for now. YOu want to get your standard certification remember!!!

11. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

No,
    The $350 a month tuition is a bargain. The afterschool care at the public school is $404 a month and that only covers 11:15-2:30, after that I would have to find different care. I am thinking that this would be a good year for bulking up my resume, since the only elementary experience I have is student teaching in 1994. Yeah the money stinks, but that is not the main reason to go back to work. Truth be told, I really want to get out of the house. I can't take it anymore..............9 years is enough!

12. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Well, are you getting out of the house to get away from the kids? Do you really want to be in a room with more kids everyday? If you do, I would probably take this job and run! You only have to commit to one year, and you will have your son close. Will he be in Kindergarten?(sp?) Sounds like it is a great a win/win situation for youand your son. Who kows, it could end up being the perfect job for you, and you won't want to leave after the first year!

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 23, 2007

It seems to me that you should go for the private sure thing and have your son close by.

14. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 23, 2007

I say go for it!! It has many more pros than cons, and money does not buy happiness - peace of mind, knowing your son is nearby is much more precious.

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

Take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I would sleep on it. Let the idea settle for awhile. Come back to your pros/cons in the morning. Consider other factors like, Did you like the school? the principal? Do you think you would be happy there despite the cons? I don't want to say "just take it" because you could end up regretting that. 10 months is a long time if you aren't going to be happy there.

17. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

No, I actually want to get away from the house. The kids I adore, the toilets, the dog hair and the hardwood floors I could do without. First order of business..........hire cleaning lady!

18. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

You guys are really great!!!! Thanks for all of your input. I am going to sleep on it and talk it over with the hubby who is of course out of town on a business trip until tomorrow afternoon.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

Go with what your intuition says. Your pro list seemed longer than your con list.

20. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Okay, I have made my decision. After thinking about it for the whole day and discussing with my husband I have decided to take this job, but I am keeping my name out there for my daughter's school which is right across the street from our house. This is a complete pipe dream because they had to lay off a teacher at the end of last year due to reduction in enrollment. There is another new school opening up down the street so a lot of the kids are shifting to that school. No, there are no openings there, I already met the principal after crashing a parent info meeting, he had 50 apps for transfers.

Since I won't have to sign a contract for this job, I won't feel bad about quitting. At-will employment works two ways. I am now going to change my avatar to a third grade teacher! Yeah............. at the end of the day that is the job I wanted. If the money was better I wouldn't have a moment's hesitation about it! Thanks to all who gave advice, you were a huge help. SWAK!

21. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

Congratulations on your decision, Mrs.Bran. :) Good luck!

22. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

YEA!! I wish you well.

23. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Awwww.... thanks you guys. I am really happy knowing that no matter what I am going to be teaching in a couple of weeks. I am really lucky considering I have been home with my kids for so many years, in a different part of the state and I have found a job! I am going to call my principal first thing in the a.m.!