HELP NOW!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newbie0809, Aug 2, 2009.

1. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I just got a call to interview at a charter school harmony science academy. I set it up for tomorrow but my reservations are
    1 its a charter school
    2 they pay at least 10,000 less than the district
    3 the guy on the phone I think was the principal but didn't have the demeanor of one it seems on the phone if that makes sense. He sounded like he was calling to set something up. For example I asked what position it was for and he replied well you applied for ec-4 right? I said yes. Then there was silence so I was like okay

And finally this is the first year its open for this location

Thank you!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

I think all those points might be valid if you were in a high needs area in a strong economy.

But it's August and there are thousands of teachers across the country looking for work.

So I personally would be thrilled to show him my professional best. $10,000 less than a job you don't have is still a LOT more than nothing.

When's the interview?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

Sorry, I hope that didn't sound smart-alecy.

I just got an update on someone on work who is in the midst of a life-threatening emergency. While she is responsive, she also has pneumonia. I'm concerned and can't find a way to phrase my answer to you in the polite manner you deserve. So please cut though the snarkiness of my answer and see it as a good luck wish.

5. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

Definitely go for the interview and worry about the rest after you're offered the position. In this economy, you can't be too picky! Good luck. :)

6. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

The interview would be tomorrow but I don't think I will go. I need a job but I just wasn't feeling it and I don't want to be unhappy teaching because of admin like I was this past year.

7. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Aug 2, 2009

Go for the practice!! Even if you don't want to accept the job, just practice. It is impossible to tell what kind of school, admin. it is over the phone. I'd give them a shot. Good luck.

8. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

9. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

It just all seems iffy and based on the little information I've found on the forum or elsewhere about their locations it doesn't seem like a good idea.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 2, 2009

I wouldn't judge one campus by another. I work for a school district (not including the charters/ contract schools associated with the district) of over 600 schools. EVERY school I have been in (for meetings, interviews, visiting other teachers etc.) has a totally different feel, management style etc. I've probably been in about 30 or 40 of the 600 schools and not one has felt the same, in fact I've been in a few that have changed management and changed the whole feel of the school.

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

There is something powerful about working in a newly opening school. Also, what is exciting about charters is the autonomy among the school, even those that are among a larger organization. Perhaps the P did not have a set grade for you, because he or she wants to learn more about you and your strengths and place you from there. I worked in charters for 3 years, two of those years were AMAZING. Of course, it varies by school, much like it does in the district. Go to the interview!!!

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 2, 2009

I would go. Did the person setting the interview up tell you they were the principal? If not it could have been a secretary. I would go and see how you feel after the interview.

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 2, 2009

I agree with others, go for the experience and see for yourself.

Different people have different likes.

In this economy, I think that getting experience is better than nothing.

I personally wouldn't leave my job now to go work in a Charter (well there is one here I REALLY like the ideals of/ideas behind) but I got my first job in the district in special education when there was a shortage in 6 years ago.

Also- you are assuming you spoke to the principal on the phone- it may not have been-

14. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

15. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Aug 3, 2009

In Houston Harmony schools, the principals get together and hire their staff together for all locations. They are one and the same.

16. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Aug 3, 2009

After thinking and thinking I've decided to go to the interview. Going by what someone said about there may not be a specific grade level until they meet me and see where I would fit, I also have to present a 15 minute lesson. I'm thinking if I do something around the grade level I want they may put me there. Any ideas for 1st or 2nd lesson and something simple? Thanks

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

I'm glad you decided to go. I was going to play devil's advocace with you and suggest that how would you feel if a school called you for a job and then changed their mind without meeting you just because of the way you sounded on the phone?
    As far as a lesson, perhaps a hands on science lesson using one of the state standards?

18. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I am glad that you decided to go. Good luck!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

Good luck!

I don't teach elementary, so I have no lesson ideas for you. Have you come up with anything?