help new teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by keelay6, Jul 12, 2007.

1. keelay6

keelay6 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Hi!! I just got hired as a 5th grade teacher and need some ideas on setting up my classroom. Is it best to use a theme? I would like to use sports or beach theme. Whats good for displaying the names of the students? What about the rest of the room? Please help!:)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

I don't really use a theme, although I stick to a cohesive decorating scheme - a few years was Americana and patriotic colors. But, there's nothing wrong with a theme.

You can still use pocket charts in 5th grade and could display names there. You'll still want to decorate the door and outside the room. That's where I have the names (the kids all know each other already so don't need them in the room). 5th graders still like to get down on the floor to read and be read to. They are social and like to work in groups.

You'll want a schedule displayed, calendar, rules, number line, timelines of American history, maps. Other things depend on how you will run your class. You might have reading logs, writing journals, centers, etc.

Ask any more specific questions you'd like answered and I'll give you my two cents worth!

4. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

You can get pocket charts at Wal-mart for less than $10. They are in the back to school section. They come in blue and red.

5. latybug

latybug Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I am new to 5th grade but have taught 4th for quite some time. Feel free to email me for detailed questions. What subjects are you teaching? Are you departmentalized or will you have all the subjects? How big is your room? I'll be on vacation for a week but I'll get back with you on ideas.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2007

Hi and welcome!

I'm a math teacher from Long Island NY and the mom of 3.

I'll leave the 5th grade stuff to all the experts here!