HELP...New teacher first day....HELP

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherece, Sep 4, 2006.

1. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 4, 2006

Okay, I have my classroom sort of ready but I'm walking around in circles getting nothing done. Can anyone give me a list of exactly what I need to have prepared for the kiddos when they arrive. I know about name plates, etc. I even have books on Classroom management, etc. But I'm now frantic and can't get myself centered. Thanks:confused:

3. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

Just take a deep breath! I had my first day the beginning of the month, and it wasn't bad. I stressed over nothing! Just relax. You will do awesome!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 4, 2006

Look at your curriculum (and maybe talk to another teacher in your school). Look for a good first of the year theme (after you get past the get to know you week). Know that until you get to know who your kiddos are and what they will respond to, it's hard to plan too far ahead. Don't feel bad if you have a general plan but make up some stuff as you go along. Initially, that's probably expected.

5. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 4, 2006

Thanks for the advice! I actually know the curriculum, etc. and I have a great team whom I know because I student taught at the school, etc. I'm not sure if I have enough planned for the first few days before we start the curriculum. I'm worried that I will forget to teach all the procedures, etc. My stomach is in knots and school doesn't start until Thurs. We have inservice tomorrow and Wed.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 4, 2006

I'm an aide but I helped write the lesson plans for the first few days. Think about each block of time and write down what you want to do during each section. Be detailed. (don't panic if you don't follow it exactly..that's okay). Then add backup plans. We never use backup plans (or rarely anyways) but it helps in case something is harder for our students than we anticipated or we underestimated our time. Having a plan will help you feel less frantic for something to do when there is a lull. Most importantly, enjoy getting to know your students!

We use a morning message (it uses what we are going to do in sequence order but in a message writing format) on the dry erase. They sit (1st grade) and take turns reading this board (every morning and every afternoon). I know it helps ME remember what we are going to do the rest of the morning because I have it to refer to.

7. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Sep 4, 2006

8. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 5, 2006

mhirsch: Thanks. I found an amazing list of what I needed to make sure I don't miss anything. I think I'm overreacting and a little panicked for nothing. I'm so used to being around kids. It's just my first class and I don't feel ready yet. We weren't allowed in all summer and only had 6 days to get ready.

9. herins

herins Companion

Sep 5, 2006

This is my third year, and I was equally as nervous today (our first day) as I was in my first year! It's a crazy day! If you forget to teach procedures, you'll remember later! Just remember to mix things up lots since the kids haven't sat still in quite a while. Have fun!!