HELP!!!! New 5th Grade Teacher!!!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by asualum, Jul 27, 2008.

1. asualum

asualum New Member

Jul 27, 2008

Hi Everyone!

I am a new 5th grade teacher and have a question. What types of things do you hang on the wall in a 5th grade classroom? I have been a 1st grade teacher for 2 years and have NO CLUE what to decorate my room with this year. For instance...do I need a calendar wall, word wall, place to display thier work??? What do I decorate the walls with? I have learned so much from all of your posts...please help me! I have a large classroom with too many white walls!!:thanks:

3. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I have a word wall and a place to display their work up on my walls. I don't do a calendar wall because I feel like that's for the primary grades. I have a place for the writing process, 6-traits, reading focus wall, and math skills.

4. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Here are my classroom photos from last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. asualum

asualum New Member

Jul 27, 2008

Thanks for the pics! This helps a ton!:angel:

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

Here are the few pictures of my room I have with out kids or my last name in them (from last year):
    [​IMG]
    I had a calendar because I NEED to see it from across the room. Plus, I had 8 BBs to cover ;) This year, I ordered the intermediate calendar from Really Good Stuff which I will tape to the old exposed chalkboard I have in my new room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I LOVE this border!!! (the gingham one)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was before school started. I never have a messy desk!

My 8 BBs:
    1. Job Chart
    2. Calendar
    3. AR board
    4. Writing Posters
    5. Welcome back/seasonal (I changed it every month)
    6. Good Work
    7. Class rules and procedures
    8. Math
    9. (sort of) alphabet

I also had a word wall on some cupboards.
    As for other decoration, I had posters all over. As the year progressed, more posters appeared.

Side note: I hated my room and wished daily for paint, blinds and carpet. My P moved me to another room and guess what. They painted my old room and put in new blinds :mad: My new room was painted, too, so I shouldn't compain. But I will because it is MUCH smaller....

7. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I love the pics! You have such a nice and organized room!

Asualum, I am a new teacher too! Crazy preparing, isn't it? So far I just have my calendar, rules, a section on the BB for the classroom economy info, scientific method, a history time line, and some things for reading. I don't think it will take long for the walls to be covered! Esp once I get into the strategies--most teachers in my school have posters for test strategies everywhere, and I'm sure I'll end up with some of those too.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 28, 2008

Hi there,
    I'm going to be a *new* 5th grade science teacher at a private school. First year teaching--- I only have 14 weeks of student teaching and some online tutoring under my belt so I'm terrified.

I'm sure you'll do a great job though and the teachers here will be such an amazing inspiration to you (and all the new teachers here too).

I wish you the best!!! :)

9. asualum

asualum New Member

Jul 31, 2008

What things did you have on your wall?? It looks great!