Help Needed

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Christine3, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Mar 13, 2009

I've been trying hard to work with a very hyperactive student in my classroom. Lately it has been a major trial...

Documentation of Today, Language Arts 9:15
    Luke left his seat a total of 4 times in the same 10 minutes.
    Then in the next half hour Luke took the bathroom pass and came back with in a few minutes. I watched Luke struggle to stay in his seat this morning. He randomly got up, numerous times, such as walking over to the trash can, sink etc. He was all over the place, even had his math workbook open and looking at it during writing time. I reframed from saying anything, as I just wanted to observe. Again, with in this same half hour Luke jumped out of his seat and took the bathroom pass. He came back in, began to look in his bag for his math book, during group work. Luke proceeded to get out of his seat, yet another time, only this time asking me a question..."Mrs. D can I go give this to the music teacher?" My response, "You already left the room twice and you are doing math work. How much have you done on your Language arts worksheet? Did you do any at all?" Luke says, "Some, I have, can I go?" He's not catching on..."You can wait till homeroom luke, now is not a good time. You have a few minutes left." Luke walked away very frustrated.

You can probably catch on to the main issue here. Luke left class two times, was out of his seat numerous times, doing work from other subjects and asked to go to the music room during classwork.

Do you think the above documentation is due to hyperactivity? Any tips on how to work with children who are constantly "on the go"?

I do understand he NEEDS and likes to move. I do provide him fidget toys and allow him to walk around the classroom when he feels the need to.

Today, I was just shocked that he left the room twice to go to the bathroom. These visits were both very short as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this thread.

Help is needed!

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Mar 17, 2009

Talking to neighbors is the number one classroom disruption. Out of seat is number two. L needs a compelling reason to stay in his seat or an answer to the question, "Why should I?" If opportunities to "move" are infinite he will continue to do so since it's like having infinite resources at the bank to draw funds.

Consider Fred Jones' Tools For Teaching and head for section, Responsibility Training.

4. SreevesTX

SreevesTX Guest

Mar 18, 2009

You might also consider Power Teaching, this will help eliminate classroom disruptions and give him a reason to stay in his seat and not be disruptive. It has worked wonders from many of my hyperactive students.

5. larana

larana Rookie

Mar 21, 2009

Tried to work with Luke as far as saying to him that he will run all your errand. That will give him a chance to stretch. Also tell him you are trying to teach and he will have two water break during the day when you change from one lesson to the next.

6. KTeach27

KTeach27 Rookie

Apr 3, 2009

I would give him a taped off area he can stand in and he cannot leave that box while your teaching but he may stand. Also, I wouldn't give him book work. Most of his work needs to be kinesthetic (if possible). Or done on a computer. You must differientiate your instruction. If you want him to only use the bathroom two times a day then give him personally 2 tickets once they are gone they are gone.

7. JustT

JustT Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

If he's dx ADHD then he can't really help it. Some things that help are to place his seating to the back of the room. That way, when he gets up or moves, it isn't distracting the other student. He may have to do something physical (like take a note to the office) before he can sit down and work on independent work. A stress ball also redirects extra energy.

If you need him to complete work check for understanding and break it up in small managable chunks even if it means one at a time. Use a timer to help pacing and tell him he should be done with three answers before the timer runs out and he can't leave his seat, ask a question, sharpen a pencil, etc... until the timer is done.

[QUOTEI reframed from saying anything, as I just wanted to observe. Again, with in this same half hour Luke jumped out of his seat and took the bathroom pass. He came back in, began to look in his bag for his math book, during group work. ][/QUOTE]

You need to redirect every time he breaks a classroom rule or expectation. If you allow it, he thinks it's okay. If he's dx, he may need numerous reminding