Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Mar 13, 2009

I've been trying hard to work with a very hyperactive student in my classroom. Lately it has been a major trial...

Documentation of Today, Language Arts 9:15
    Luke left his seat a total of 4 times in the same 10 minutes.
    Then in the next half hour Luke took the bathroom pass and came back with in a few minutes. I watched Luke struggle to stay in his seat this morning. He randomly got up, numerous times, such as walking over to the trash can, sink etc. He was all over the place, even had his math workbook open and looking at it during writing time. I reframed from saying anything, as I just wanted to observe. Again, with in this same half hour Luke jumped out of his seat and took the bathroom pass. He came back in, began to look in his bag for his math book, during group work. Luke proceeded to get out of his seat, yet another time, only this time asking me a question..."Mrs. D can I go give this to the music teacher?" My response, "You already left the room twice and you are doing math work. How much have you done on your Language arts worksheet? Did you do any at all?" Luke says, "Some, I have, can I go?" He's not catching on..."You can wait till homeroom luke, now is not a good time. You have a few minutes left." Luke walked away very frustrated.

You can probably catch on to the main issue here. Luke left class two times, was out of his seat numerous times, doing work from other subjects and asked to go to the music room during classwork.

Do you think the above documentation is due to hyperactivity? Any tips on how to work with children who are constantly "on the go"?

I do understand he NEEDS and likes to move. I do provide him fidget toys and allow him to walk around the classroom when he feels the need to.

Today, I was just shocked that he left the room twice to go to the bathroom. These visits were both very short as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this thread.

Help is needed! :eek:hmy:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 13, 2009

Christine,
    First, find out if "Luke" is on any medications -- because some meds for ADHD make a child have to pee every 5 minutes. They can have sudden, urgent needs to use the bathroom. I would want to find out about that, because going to the bathroom because of frequent needs, and just wandering around the hall are two very different problems. A simple call home to say that you've noticed that Luke is using the bathroom frequently and that you are concerned there might be a bladder infection or some other problem will usually open the conversation right up. I always tell parents that I want to let their child use the restroom as often as they need it, but when I see them using it so much more often than the other children, it makes me concerned that there might be a medical problem.

Second, it sounds like you have some good strategies to allow him to move around. Here are a few more for keeping him on task:

--Try task isolation. What this means is simply remove everything from his desk which isn't related to the task you want him to accomplish. If it is a worksheet, the only thing on or IN his desk should be the worksheet and a pencil. Nothing else. Have a tub you can empty everything else into at certain times. (This isn't a punishment, so don't make it seem that way. Make sure the child knows this will help him succeed.) If you want him to have a figit, you would give him that also. If the assignment doesn't call for scissors or crayons, those need to be removed. Take it all.

--See if you can get motion or bounce seat. It is a cushion-like thing that lets a child bounce up and down in their seat without being noticeable. Most special ed departments can provide them -- sometimes even to a child who isn't necessarily identified. They can be incredible!

--Sometimes, making it a game works wonders. Take the worksheet and cut each part into a strip (obviously, this would only work with some kinds of worksheets.) Give him the first question strip. When he finishes it, he "hustles" to your table, and gives it to you. If he has solved it to your satisifaction (has shown his work, completed it legibly, etc.) then you give him the next strip. It gives him a break and motion in short bursts, makes it a game, and gives him immediate feedback, instead of waiting until he's done the entire thing wrong because he didn't read the directions, before giving feedback. At the end, hand him the tape dispenser and let him have fun taping it all back together! After a while, you'll be able to put 2 questions on a strip, so it won't be so much work for you each time he comes up.

I hope you can find something you can use.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2009

Great suggestions, Rain. One of our teachers is having similar difficulties with one of her students, the "strip" worksheet idea would be perfect for him.

5. islesv

islesv Rookie

Mar 15, 2009

Is he already diagnosed as a student with ADHD?

6. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 15, 2009

I saw this when it was first posted but decided to wait until I could gather my thoughts lol:)

I am not teaching yet, still in school, but I am a nurse, have been one for 15 years. There is a real concern in the medical field among nurses and doctors that entirely too many children are being diagnosed ADHD and placed on medications when that really isn't the problem. I am not at all saying that is the case here with this student, BUT I wish parents, school officials and yes even some doctors would not be so quick to jump to the ADHD conclusion.

Here are a couple of questions -
    1. Does he always ask to go to the bathroom this much? Has a buddy ever gone with him just to see if he really is using the bathroom? - Reason - frequent urination is a sign of bladder infection or juvenile diabetes - both of which can cause anxiety and hyperactivity in children.

2. Does behavior mod plans work with him, or is he behavior so difficult that it just doesn't work

3. Is he bored? I have seen several kids who behaved this way and the problem was not ADHD but that they were gifted students who were bored with class

No matter what he does need to be evaluated, because there is obviously some problem going on. Hopefully, it can be determined what it is and him receive the care he needs. He must be exhausted by the afternoon from so much activity!!