Help needed- new student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yearroundteach, Feb 1, 2011.

1. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Feb 1, 2011

I am in a huge panic over how to best serve a new student that I have gotten. Let me start by saying that he'll be going to our intervention lab, documented, and (hopefully) someday tested. However, as we all know can be the case, this will more than likely take awhile.

I do my very best to offer the most differentiation possible in my classroom. In the morning during an intervention and acceleration time certain students go to the intervention lab while I work with other, slightly "higher" kids in my room. The on grade level or above grade level students are working on accelerated reader, reading contracts, readers responses, or other activities of their choosing. Writing is done WG and idependently for the most part. Then in the afternoon after a WG lesson, my students work on a modified center/daily five time. One of those times is a seatwork practice over a skill we covered the week before. I do this not only for extra practice but sometimes also for a grade because I cannot feesibly test every standard and/or do a one on one conference/assessment for every standard. I also like to get several examples of student abilities in the gradebook for each standard.

Now for my problem... I received a new student today. I was aware that he would be "low" in his reading ability but I was not aware just how low. I teach 2nd grade and this student has difficulty recognizing all his letters, only knows about half the consonant sounds, none of the vowel sounds, and even when he can sound out a CVC word and get lucky with the vowel sound (b-i-g) he cannot blend the sounds together to make a word (he'll say bat).

I have already set aside time during my reading block to work with him one on one with the most basic reading skills and he'll also meet with my lowest reading group (though they are far above him). I am just not sure what to do during the time he isn't in group with me....mainly the seatwork time. I can give him K or 1st grade phonics work but I'm unsure that he'll even be able to do that on his own (can't read the directions and seems to have a habit built up of of just guessing and completing things as quickly as possible). Plus, as I mentioned above, some of my seatwork is skill practice of what we've covered in class and I grade it. He is not diagnosed with anything, does not have a IEP or any other accomodations so I have to grade him on 2nd grade standards.

I have had a student this low before but he had an IEP and did not receive grades for 2nd grade standards. I have every intention of meeting this child where he is at, beginning with the K skills he has missing, and do my very best to have him reading (or as close to reading as possible ) by the end of the year. However, I need some advice on how to also take the grades my district expects me to take and keep him independent during work time so I can work with other groups. Thanks to anyone who made it this far in my ramblings.

3. tortega

tortega Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

If you have internet in your classroom you can have him work on www.starfall.com. He could work on that independently. Perhaps if you were working on the letter J he could do the J section on star fall Then at his seat he could complete a kindergarten phonics sheet on J. He should be able to do that independently, the site is designed for pre-K and kindergarteners and after working on the site he should be able to complete the worksheet. Good Luck!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Do you give one letter grade for reading or do you give a grade per standard?

If you are giving a grade per standard (meets, exceeds, etc), then you could just give this little one progressing or does not meet as he is still working on lower level skills.

For independent work time, I would push him towards a listening center with a worksheet that works on comprehension of that story. This way he is continuing to build his listening comprehension.

5. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Feb 1, 2011

Thank you for replying! I am giving a points grade for each standard in reading. This averages to a letter grade for overall in reading and a "meets" or "does not meet" for each standard. So I have to enter a grade for each assignment in order to get it to show up on the report card/progress report.

I will definitely work on getting him to go to a listening center. Though the worksheet is probably out because he wouldn't be able to read a single word of the questions.

Thanks again for your reply!

6. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Feb 1, 2011

Absolutely. All great ideas. I'm going to use your thoughts and work hard to incorporate the lower level ind. work and computer to whatever I work with him on in group. That still leaves me with the dilema of how to grade him. I feel terrible that I have to give him these assignments he cannot do, watch him get frustrated, finally just guess, and end up getting little to no points anyway. Seems like a waste of time and a crush to his enthusiasm but without an IEP or anything else I must take grades on 2nd grade standards for him. It is just so sad! In this case I wish I had report cards like other districts/states do with just E, S, N.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Could you tape record the questions? Or have him sequence pictures or match pictures under character, setting, plot or fill in a venn diagram with pictures of the story. You could modify a worksheet to work with pictures as long as you or someone could explain the directions...

I would think with the report card...he would probably not meet in most areas as he is working so far behind.

8. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Feb 1, 2011

In the end he will end up getting a "does not meet" but that will only occur after I give him a score on the assignment. I can't go in and just manually put in "does not meet". The grade book program calculates that as you enter in grades under that standard.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Maybe with the worksheets....you could have him do one question only. That way you could see right away that he doesn't get it. Then move on...Or you could orally ask him a question and if he doesn't get it...don't even do the worksheet...just give him a low score on the assignments.

Why give him something he cannot do and make school terrible. He will need to do twice the assignments if he has to complete the too hard one and the just right one.

Yes! I wish teachers had extra time. I just copy the pictures from the picture book that we are reading.

10. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Feb 1, 2011

I think this is what I'll do. I'll have to get admin permission (once she returns from time off) but I think she'll be along the same line of reasoning with what you wrote above. I can already tell he has some negative feelings about school (mostly stemming from embarrassment it seems) so I certainly don't want to make that worse!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

It's so hard when the administration tell us to differentiate but don't let us differentiate our grades...how silly!

12. tortega

tortega Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

Sense he does have negative feelings about school I would do what ever you can to minimize him seeing the "assessments" you know he can't pass. But make a big deal about the on-level stuff he has mastered. Perhaps you can make a little chart of the alphabet with little boxes next to each letter and when he has mastered a letter he can check it off. (with much fanfare from you of course!) It will build his confidence if he sees his progress.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Great idea!