Help Needed for a First Year Teacher

Discussion in 'High School' started by ncteach0809, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ncteach0809

ncteach0809 Rookie

Nov 14, 2008

Can anyone point me in the direction of quality units of instruction for teaching major works in British, American and World lit? I'm a first year teacher with three preps, and while I want to be creative, three preps is sucking the creative juices right out of me.

My Visa card is ready and waiting for a link to some quality units that incorporate multiple disciplines into teaching (art, music, film, etc.) Thanks

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2008

I don't have any commercial units to suggest, but if you want some suggestions for teaching Brit lit, feel free to PM me.

If you're teaching any Shakespeare, I highly recommend Shakespeare Set Free, which is a very creative, performance-based curriculum. I've used it for both Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I don't want to make your Visa card feel left out, so think about buying Teaching Outside the Box, Teaching Adolescent Writers, and Papers, Papers, Papers. :)

4. dovian

dovian Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

The best source I have found is webenglishteacher.com. They have links to plans for just about every text you could want. Some are for the whole text, most are for part of it, but it's a start and you can cobble together a decent plan. For Shakespeare, the Folger Shakespeare Library at folger.edu is your best bet - look for the K-12 teacher tab, then Lesson Plan Archives.

5. MizDubya

MizDubya Rookie

Nov 24, 2008

I second webenglishteacher.com!

Another good website, especially if you're in the buyin' mood, is litplans.com. They have a whole bunch of authors to choose from, and they list both free and commercial materials, so you can scout out what options might be best for you. The NEH also has a website with some good lesson plans.

I'm a new teacher, too, so I've been scrambling this year to find some good lesson plans and teaching units that will help me figure out what the heck to do in class! I've found that googling the name of the text, along with "lesson plans" or "unit plans" or "teaching [the text]" will often result in some good options.

Good luck!