Help...Need strategies!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Jul 28, 2011.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 28, 2011

I have four ADHD kids in my class this year and two of them are not on meds. There is a lot of disorganization and trouble getting started with their work. We started our math journals today and I had to keep refocusing them....Everything they needed was on the whiteboard and I can barely read their writing. :dizzy:

It's only the 4th day of school and I already met with one parent who is very supportive and told me everything about his son, which was extremely helpful. I guess I'll need to call in the other parents.

I need some serious strategies to help these kids.. I have some, but I would love to hear what other teachers do to help their students be successful. I struggle with how much to help...I want them to be accountable, but I do know they struggle. I probably lean toward helping too much and that probably hurts them in the long run.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :thanks:

3. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

Can you type up or write out the journal so it is right there in front of them to work from? You could even try to take a picture of it and print it out. That way they don't get distracted by moving their eyes around the room. If they need to they could then do their work with privacy walls up to help as well.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

Could you assign peer partners that could be responsible for helping with organization?

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2011

I think it's a sign of the times. Each year I find it more challenging to keep their attention. I've had great success with using Whole Brain Teaching / Power Teaching. Try goggling that or Chris Biffle. There are tons of videos available online.

You may also want to look into Universal Design for Learning. Best of luck on your new year.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

For one ADHD child (3rd grade) that I had a couple of years ago his consequence for not finishing his work was to take away recess. He really wanted recess, really needed recess, so for him it was a motivating factor.

I also did modified assignments, usually in terms of shortening assignments.

Other things I ave done:

seat alone, back of the room. This allows them to stand up to complete work without being a distraction (it allows them to wiggle). Sometimes I'd turn the desk around so they are facing the wall.

Send on errands, even if it's running a blank note to another teacher. I would grab the 1st thing I saw & ask the child to take it to a teacher. Sometimes, it was a completely random objects.

I also had a mini-trampoline. It was awesome during indoor recess!

7. Toast

Toast Companion

Jul 29, 2011

Of course not every child is the same, however I did have a handful of attention/focus challenged kids last year.

These are some of the strategies that worked for some of the students:

Silly band (explain that it is not a toy, but something to quietly fidget with) stick it around their wrist and remind them to use it.

For those who have trouble keeping their body still-a heavy pillow of sorts to keep on their lap. Again-remind them it's not a toy.

For those who can never find anything in their desk and spend 20 minutes of independent work time taking everything out of their desk to find it. Have an organized neighbor keep their supplies in their desk for them. When Susie is ready to use her pencil she can have from her next door neighbor who knows exactly where it is. Her journal notebook stays in the desk of the kid on the other side or across from her, etc. If her desk is open in the front, turn it around so she can't use the inside of it.

Also provide movement breaks. Have him take tardy passes up to the office. Ask him to walk around and collect or pass out supplies.

When giving directions select students to verbally tell you what is expected. In the radom group of kids you select, call on your Adhd kids too.

In this case, have a few kids read back the journal information that was on the board.

8. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

iheartrecess, Im glad to hear of someone on here that uses Power Teaching. I am researching it this summer and I am going to use it in my classes. I am very excited about it! I may bother you from time to time if you don't mind! :whistle:

9. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

You do not have to look far for help. I have been using Whole Brain Teaching (used to be Power Teaching) for years, and am an instructor for the system. I would be happy to help you get started.