help...need rug alternative

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by BxCarLashGirl, Jun 24, 2014.

1. BxCarLashGirl

BxCarLashGirl New Member

Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if perhaps I can get some suggestions on here about finding an alternative for the meeting area rug. I have been informed that on September I am getting a few children who have severe allergies and that includes rugs. I hate getting rid of mine but wondered if anyone has any alternatives they can suggest.... Thanks in advance

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2014

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2014

I had to get rid of the carpet in my room because one of my students had allergies. I have these in lime green and blue. It took a bit of a beating this year (my students are in grade 7 and not gentle), so I'll need to replace a few of the tiles for next year, but the kids love it and it's easy to care for.

5. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

I know a teacher who just used place mats and the kids could grab one and take it to the meeting area

6. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

You can buy those rubber interlocking puzzle pieces. They are large and in bright colors. They make a rectangle and depending on how many sets you buy you can customize the size. They are bright colored. I have heard of people hot gluing them together, but I did not. Once my kids learned not to take them apart, it was fine. Or sometimes I let them just for fun to change the pattern. Mine were about $5 per set of 5.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 27, 2014

Yoga mats or a tumbling mat might work.

8. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Jun 27, 2014

If you're looking for cheap...

I would go with vinyl placemats. You could mark off the meeting area with decorative duct tape.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2014

Placemats would be the cheapest alternative. You could have a 'special' seat that the kids could take turns with - a vinyl beanbag chair or something. I used to use a rocking chair as a 'readers' chair and whoever was reading their original writing could sit there. You could have a special student of the day for the chair. Just a thought.

10. Oh.Wow

Oh.Wow Rookie

Nov 9, 2014

Those interlocking foam pieces seem to be a good alternative. I've never used them myself, but I have seen them around. In the past I've had a couple of kids with very severe allergies. For one of my preschoolers, she had a large vinyl placemat that she placed on top of our rug, and she sat on that. When I was working in a kindergarten classroom, we had two chairs at the back of the rug, one for the child with allergies to sit on, and the other for a different 'special friend' each day.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2014

I would suggest contacting the parents before buying anything since you said several had these allergies. I was going to suggest getting fabric placemats that can be washed regularly, to eliminate the dust that usually triggers these allergies. However, if you have several kids with severe allergies, I would consider having them bring chairs, and not sit on the floor at all. Even sitting on a placemat of some kind may not eliminate the problem, since the dust that collects on the floor is certainly a part of the problem. Bringing their chairs to the area can just be part of the routine. I fear that the foam pieces will not give you what you are looking for if some of the children are that sensitive - the next thing you know, they will be allergic to the foam, or the dust on the floor masquerading as an allergy to the foam. Just something to think about in this particular situation.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2014

The OP hasn't been back since the date s/he made the post above but maybe the suggestions can help someone else! :p

13. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jan 12, 2015

I had a rug, which I put away. The kids were bickering over two spots. Now I use just plain carpet squares that are all the same. I think my kiddos would have tore-up foam tiles.