HELP! Need Montessori Infant/Toddler info

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by montessori#1, Mar 23, 2007.

1. montessori#1

montessori#1 New Member

Mar 23, 2007

Hi. I was a traditional classroom teacher for about 2 and a half years, and have recently left teaching to stay at home after the birth of my son. I am planning to return to work when he gets in school. I didn't have the credential I needed for the state where I live, so I am going to have to go back and complete a teacher education program. When I started researching programs, I really loved the Montessori approach. I am planning to attend a Montessori teacher's college after I finish the program I am enrolled in now.

I like the montessori method so much, I want to try to do it at home with my 10 month old son. I am convinced I can do it even though the materials are expensive because I am very crafty and I think I can make them myself. The problem is that I am not sure of which materials to introduce and in what order and how to introduce and use each one. Is there a book or textbook that would outline what to include in a toddler curriculum. I really need help. Please help me find the tools to design a montessori program for my son.

I have done a lot of research and reading on my own, and I have a good understanding of montessori principles and class design. Also, money is kind of an issue because I don't have much of it. I am looking for an affordable book or program. I am looking for something that would be used in a real montessori classroom. If you can help me or give me advice about working with that age group, pleeeeeaaaasee write.

3. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Mar 24, 2007

One of the great things about Montessori is that, especially for toddlers, you can adapt the princliples to your own home environment so you can do alot with materials you already have - the things you use for daily living - or "practical life". The child should be involved in all aspects of family life at his current level of ability with the expectation that he will be expected to contribute with more responsibility as he grows. You can also practice giving your child the freedom to take his time with an activity, to make mistakes and to correct them on his own initiative. You can respect the moments when he shows the growing ability to concentrate on an activity. These are the basics. Organizing your house so that the child can move freely including putting items for him to use down at his level.
    I would suggest The Joyful Child which is written by Susan Stephenson and is the catalog for the Michael Olaf company. Also, the book Understanding the Human Being: The Importance of the First Three Years of Life by Silvana Montanaro is excellent for this time frame. It is a very thought provoking book and covers in depth information about Montessori approach to eating, sleep, toileting etc. The AMI training programs for birth to 3 usually require this book. After 3, Montessori gets pretty indepth and its best to have training yourself or enroll him in a Children's House.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Mar 24, 2007

5. montessori#1

montessori#1 New Member

Mar 27, 2007

Yenna

Thankyou so much. This is great information! I will try to start by reading these books. I think they will help a lot.

6. montessori#1

montessori#1 New Member

Mar 27, 2007

MommaRuthie

The links you sent me are awesome! I think they will give me lots of ideas. Thank you so much for sending them!

7. Grascea

Grascea Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

hi there i want to know fine motor skills for the kids. help please? thanks....

8. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Apr 20, 2007

Infant/Toddler info

Try Jan Katzen-Lucenta's book Awakening your Toddlers Love of Learning[. It gives you many great ideas. It is written by an AMI Montessori teacher.

You can order it from this link. www.thetoddlertutor.com

9. followthechild

followthechild New Member

May 21, 2007

I'm a montessori teacher from Shanghai, please check out this website montessoriboard.com, peace!

10. montessorimama

montessorimama New Member

Sep 15, 2007

Hi, I wanted to let you know that I am also a mom to a toddler and I am working from home right now. I have been developing works for him on a tight budget and things are going really well. I'm having allot of fun and so is he. I would love to share my ideas with you. I have started an on-line blog I call Spiral Montessori Mama come and see, on my blog I write down allot of the activities I do with Oliver (16 months) also ideas you may be able to use in your classroom. Hope it helps--In PEACE Jennifer

11. mag1976

mag1976 New Member

May 28, 2010

Montessori infant/toddler information

hello Ruth,

I'm very sorry: I can read english but I am not really able to express myself in english... I'm 3-6 Montessori educator and mother of almost 1 year old girl. I would like to propose her Montessori material at home, but I miss information how to work with toddler material... (The Montessori Institute in France where I got my diploma propose only 3-6 training course, so I'm not able to have that information through the Montessorians I know at Paris and now I'm living at Cancun, Mexico). Your post at A to Z is all I was able to find for a moment at the Internet ressources, but the links you share does'nt work anymore.... You maybe speak Spanish or French to communicate easier? I will really appreciate if you could pass me any information about Montessori approach for infant & toddler.

with my best regards,
    magda