HELP! Need ideas for summer practice!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RitaFirstGrade, Apr 11, 2006.

1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Apr 11, 2006

I need as many ideas as possible for what parents can do
    with their children over the summer to help reduce summer
    loss. I am a first grade teacher and will be presenting
    this information to parents at "Family Reading Night".

I was thinking that maybe I can break it up into
    categories (phonemic awareness, phonics, comprehension,
    fluency, vocabulary) and give ideas for each. Is that too
    technical for parents? I want them to learn from this, not
    feel overwhelmed.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2006

Suggest they keep a summer journal........keep them writing. Draw a picture, and write about their day/week. I wouldn't overload parents too much..............summer is summer and many will get turned off if it seems like too much work. Keep it fun...........suggest they keep reading so many minutes per month. Keep a record of it, and you could promise them a small token for earning so many minutes of reading this summer. Perhaps it could build up to even something bigger (alright......not too expensive, but something fun to work for) You could even have a theme for it.......... "Go on a safari and read"........your prizes could have a safari theme.....Oriental trading would be a great place to look. Just thinking off the top of my head here! :)

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 11, 2006

Our school has introduced an incentive for our students to participate in the reading program at the public library's in our county. If they complete the program and are entered in the library's program as completed, they get to participate in a special activity at school. This year it was a puppet show and ice cream party.