Help! Need ideas for decorating/painting cabinets!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TeacherSandra, Aug 4, 2007.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

I am just so impressed with everyone's classrooms (those who posted photos). I have a beautiful wall cabinet that my husband made; I have never painted it! He is in the process of making me a 7ft cabinet this year and I would love to paint it as well.
    I really like everything looking nice and tidy and just haven't a clue as to how to "paint" them.
    I used to have some nice cubbies that were spongepainted blue/white...really nice. I was hoping to do that; maybe I'll just paint these cabinets white?
    The walls in my classroom are blue (2) and yellow (2); and the cabinets are/will be on the yellow walls.
    Please give me some ideas...these are very expensive cabinetry (over $500 a piece); and that is the main reason I didn't do anything to the one I've had in my class for 2 years!

Thank you,
    Sandra

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

Wow, handcrafted cabinets! Well to keep the color theme going you might want to paint the cabinets a blue that is very similar to the blue that is already in your room. Quick question. Is the blue in your room light, medium or dark?

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

Another thing to consider. Think about the mood you want for the room. If the color's are soft, then it will make you and the kids feel calmer, while very bright and bold colors may make kids more anxious. In my room I like stuff neat and clean, but I also use a lot of the primary colors to create more energy in the room. It's amazing how color can have such an effect on our moods.

If you are nervous about painting maybe think about putting a clear coat on it. You can't go wrong with that since it would go with anything.

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

The blue is more of a sky-blue...it's ok, but the yellow is so nice and cheery; I think the combination is good.
    Now; a clear coat is a great idea!

Thank you!
    Sandra

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

My dad works at a paint store and I tooks lots of art classes. But whenever in doubt, I figure white or clear can go with anything.

When I started teaching I needed a rocker. My parents were so generous and handed down their rocker they recieve as an engagment present. It was the same black rocker she rocked me in when I was a baby! I had to do both a primer and 3 coats of paint. I thought I'd never finished it, but I did. This picture was taken when I did k remediation groups.

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=carpet area new.jpg&public_view=1

7. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Spice it up a bit....go all primary....GO RED.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

WOW; that is really beautiful! It doesn't look painted at all...I thought it was stained or natural. Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Sandra

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

well; I even thought of that too...I LOVE RED! But, don't you think it would "clash" with the soft skyblue and yellow???

Sandra

10. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Well, it might.....but only if that is the only red in your room. Find something else red to put on the other side of the room to balance it out. Curtains, a rug, background for a bulletin board......What do you think?

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2007

I didn't think about matching it up with a rug...I stopped at Home Depot today and saw some great 6'x8' foor rugs for only $16! A much better price than WalMart's for $20!
    Great thought! Thank you!

Love this site,
    Sandra

12. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

WOW!!! I need a rug with red in it also. I got a real room this year (last year I was in a closet, really) and I painted it "Blue Stencil". I'm putting up Snoopy and Peanuts stuff. I have red bulletin boards and red crates....I need a red rug. I'm heading to Home Depot!
    Thanks for the tip.

13. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I vote for clear coat!

14. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

What kind of wood are they made out of? My vote would be to stain them and then seal them with a protective coat. Some day you may change classrooms and you might (if possible to move) want to take them with you. You won't have to repaint them then.