Help! Need help with classroom theme.

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Curleighgirl, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Curleighgirl

Curleighgirl Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

This is my first year teaching and I have Kindergarten. I have been juggling whether or not to use the same theme throughout my classroom. Please tell me what you think! Should I use teddy bears/frogs/bees, etc.....throughout my classroom or is it ok to incorporate all of these. I wonder if I use just bears or just bees that the kids will get bored with it. My husband tells me that I am making this too hard but I just want everything to be great! This is my first year and I feel there will be a watchful eye over me. :) Please share any amazing ideas that you may have.
    Thanks.

3. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 5, 2006

OMG! You sound just like me this time last year. I was a first year teacher...kindergarten too, and all over the place. I kinda wanted to go with a room theme, but then I saw all the different things I likes. I had everything, from bee's, to frogs, underwater. llThe truth is....it made no difference to the children. as long as it's attractive they like it.

With the samll amount of experience I have under my belt I think this year I will go with the jungle theme "wild about...", but I still want to do a beach theme in my reading corner. (?) Tell your husband that this is only the beginning

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 5, 2006

I think there are some threads with pictures of class rooms so that you can see how others used these thems. I think it would be cute to have all of them. It makes me think of a cartoon with a bear getting honey from a bee hive and a frog pond near by. But you know don't make it so hard on your self. If you are able to pick out decorations for a theme, maybe buying all one kind would be cheapest.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2006

I've never had a theme in my almost 15 years of teaching...but I love the idea and am trying to move TO a thematic classroom this year. However, it's more for the grown-ups and the cuteness factor (at least, in my opinion), because, while I do think the kids will notice it and they do appreciate a tidy, attractive space, you don't need a theme to get a tidy, attractive space.

I'm going with storybook characters. I have a mouse from "If You Give a Mouse...", the Little Critter, Clifford, etc, and I'm going to use them in all of my decorations...even in the welcome cards that you send home in the summer to the new kids in your class.
    Kim

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

I agree that the teachers get more out of the theme than do the kids. They appreciate a nice room, an interesting room, a homey room, but they don't care how it is decorated.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 6, 2006

My center all used Eric Carle's book characters one year. It was cute, but I agree, themes are for the adults.

8. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Why not have a garden theme, then you can incorporate lots of ideas.

9. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I like this poem
    'What do you suppose
    A bee sat on my nose
    and then what do you think
    He gave me a wink
    and said
    "i beg your pardon, i thought you were the garden!"

10. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Curleighgirl... where in SC are you teaching?

11. Curleighgirl

Curleighgirl Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Hartsville! Are you nearby?

12. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Nah... Swansea. What grade?

13. Curleighgirl

Curleighgirl Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

K5...I'm really excited but I feel like time is running out fast to get everything pulled together. Do you ever feel like that or am I just CRAZY! ;-)

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 6, 2006

..and pretty soon, it will be five years from now, and you will wonder where the time went. Yes, the time flies, and you never are ready.

15. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels overwhelmed. I've finally just decided to take it easy because there is really nothing I can do until I get to my new school and see what I will already have there.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 6, 2006

We are in our busy season--Migrant Head Start. Things are pretty hectic around here. Not enough staff and too many children. The staff that we have are all over-worked, some on long overtime. All the managers are frustrated. The paperwork, etc., all has to be done within a three month time frame. The season is over before it really starts. The stress of all the other managers is getting to me. I guess I deal with stress well, because I know it will all work out--getting stressed, angry, scared, etc., is not going to help the situation. I like to use the emotion for positive results. Just my soapbox. I see the glass as half full.

17. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

OMG yes girl! I know exactly! It is my first year teaching, too. I'm trying to get everything I need for the classroom, for lessons, activities... blahblahblah... there is never enough time in the day!

18. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

This year my whole team is doing a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom theme. We are going to decorate our rooms with letters all around, a big palm tree, a little pool, and monkeys (kind of a tropical feel to go with the book) There are tons of ideas out there about using this book in your classroom.(some of the best are thevirtualvine, hubbardscuppard, kinderthemes, to name a few) Oriental Trading also has a lot of decorative things that would work with this theme. We all know that one of the first things we work on in Kinder is learning our letters, I think this will be a fun way to do it. Then after the letters work on making words and writing.(they are relate) You could also use the book Chicka Chicka 1,2,3 to go in the math direction.

I'm very excited about this, I've taught for 6 years and this will be the first year I've done a true theme. I usually have some kind of a mini theme at the beginning of the year (last year I did fish. I had fish hanging from the ceiling, door decorated with fish, etc.) But this is the first time I am going to really try to incorporate the theme into my daily teaching!

19. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 6, 2006

I'm so excited, I'm kindergarten too, signed the contract today, and got to see my classroom for a split second, and I CAN'T WAIT, so my ideas in my head!!! Maybe a dogs/cats theme,at least for the beginning of the year...............................and curtains I need curtains......................

20. satcy

satcy New Member

Jul 7, 2006

HI! I'm new also

I am also a new Kindergarten teacher this year and am so glad to see that I am not the only one worrying about a theme! I will not use the same one throughout my classroom because that would probably get boring to everyone. I think the little ones would like all the things listed. I am trying to calm myself by remembering that the children are what is most important. As long as they are learning, happy, and safe, I'm also a happy camper! I'm sure your room will be the best one of them all!!

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 7, 2006

I've seen kindergarten classrooms with and without themes. My best friend [a kindergarten teacher, of course] is doing a kingdom/fairy tale/knights theme next year because she has this very large cardboard castle she made a few years ago that will be the centerpiece of her classroom.

22. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I've decided to go with a bumblebee theme. School Aides has really cute stuff with bumblebees.

23. lololsu

lololsu Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Kindergarten themes

I too have been freaking out trying to think of a theme, trying to decide what centers to do etc...I just talked to the Kindergarten Teacher I will be taking the place of...(she's going to teach 4th grade now) and she has totally eased my mind! At this school, they
    have what is called "The Great Room". 3 or 4 times a week each K-5 class goes in there for "centers", crafts etc...There is even a Great Room Teacher so when my class is there I get a break! WOW!! I am
    SO excited and settled now that I won't have to buy ANYTHING for
    my classroom unless I was to decorate...even that they will supply
    you with unless you go with a theme they don't already have! WHEW!

24. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Wow..That sounds awesome. You are very blessed to have that!

25. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

I love the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom idea, I might have to incorporate that in to my reading and writing centers! I want to go with the bumble bee theme in general this year. My last name is Best and my newsletter is The Buzz from Mrs. Best with a little bee graphic so I figured turning the classroom in to the "hive" would be cute ...

lololsu - I wish we had stuff supplied!!! We are a charter school and have absolutely nuffin' :(

26. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

I'm doing a bumble bee theme too. Are you going to change it throughout the year or keep the same theme all year?

27. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

I'll use the Bee's as a theme for the actual class and students. In my centers I will use whatever theme I might be working on in class at the time. My classroom isn't very big so creativity is key.

28. alisoncharm

alisoncharm Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

I am also a new kindergarten teacher this year and so happy to hear that you guys are also putting so much thought into everything so early in the summer. I had not even considered a theme...wow, more to think about. I just keep trying to tell myself that I can continue to add to the room each day...it doesn't all have to be done by day 1 right??? I just moved all my furniture around and I really like it alot...now on to bulletin boards...and my school just gave me a large budget to start with. If I do not spend it all right now, do you think it will be there later in the year? I should just ask the principal, but she is out of town.
    OH PS If you want some adorable wallpaper cutouts that are pretty inexpensive, go to Michaels Craft store or look up Wallies Wallpaper cutouts. I just put up large flowers on the top of one of my walls and everyone thinks I painted them!! (could have some to follow the different themes discussed)

29. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jul 12, 2006

Congrats! Yes, you can definitely add (and take away) alllllll year long :D. I certainly did last year! I was all gung ho and decorated the whole place before school started then realized I didn't have anywhere for other stuff so I will be sure this year not to make that mistake.

I wish I could go to my room! We are a charter school so our teacher budget at the beginning of the year is $250.00 and we have to pack out everything in our rooms each June and then pack it all back in in August UGH!!! Boy what I wouldn't give for a year round classroom and a large budget LOL

30. QuigleK

QuigleK Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

When I first started teaching K 4 years ago I started out with a frog theme- cutouts, lilly pads, jean chair pouches with little frogs ironed on......All of that stuff was very cute, but as I teach longer I find more and more things I like that don't necessarily go with the theme. My advice- start out with something you like such as frogs, bears, jungle animals and add to it as you go.