Help! Need cover letter advice

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by jam0033, Feb 24, 2006.

1. jam0033

jam0033 New Member

Feb 24, 2006

I am trying to get a job in the school systems and need help with a cover letter. I have been out of the "loop" for a few years to raise my kids and I am not sure what employers are looking for in a cover letter. Basically, I need examples to give me ideas of wording and such. Any advice would be great. :confused:

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 24, 2006

If you go to google and type in "teacher cover letters" you'll see plenty of examples.

4. jam0033

jam0033 New Member

Feb 24, 2006

Thanks, I did that too. I will keep searching.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 24, 2006

Here is an example of my cover letter.

Dear ,

I am writing to express my interest in the third grade position that is posted in the Boston Globe.

I graduated from ******* College on May 21, 2005 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education. My initial teaching license in elementary (1-6) was issued to me on July 26, 2005. I plan to begin taking graduate courses at ******* College this summer so that I will be able to receive my professional license within the next five years.

When I was sixteen I was given the opportunity to begin working for an after school program in *******. The program services children ages six through twelve and after working there for over six years, I gained quite a bit of valuable experience with school-age children. It was the children at this program that made me realize that I want to teach.

Since November 28, 2005 I have been a long-term substitute in a fourth grade classroom. I have known for quite some time that I want to teach, but these past few months have really made me realize that this is what I want to do with my life.

Working as a long-term substitute has been a wonderful experience for me. I have learned as much from the students as they have from me. As a student teacher, I learned quite a bit from my cooperating teacher and the students, but nothing compares to being the primary teacher in a classroom. By holding this position, I have gained invaluable experience and I consider myself very lucky to have been given the opportunity.

With my experience with school-age children and my willingness to learn, I think I could be an asset to your faculty. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

6. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Feb 24, 2006

I have been on the hiring committee a few times at my school when they need to hire another teacher in the same grade that I teach. Keep in mind that there may be MANY MANY MANY applicants for the same job. Your cover letter has to stand out since it's the first item looked at in your packet of information that you send. I've had to go through almost 200 applicants and help narrow it down to 5-8 to interview. If the cover letter didn't do it for me I wasn't likely to go any further with that many packets to go through. I like seeing any experience, projects involved with, and what you believe makes you the best candidate, what makes you special. I want to see lots of positive words....never use the word feel....use believe, know, etc. Yes, you have to "toot your own horn" so to speak. It's not bragging.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 24, 2006

One thing thatI did to make my cover letters stand out more was make a letter head. I made a letterhead for myself on Word that contains my name, email, address, and phone numbers. It adds a little color to my letters and makes them look more professional, I think.

8. jam0033

jam0033 New Member

Feb 24, 2006

Thanks for all your advice...to everyone. I will keep you posted on my progress. Its nice to know there are people out there willing to give positive advice.

9. westcoaster

westcoaster Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

10. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

Here is my cover letter, hope it helps.. I had help putting this together so why not share...... Good Luck....

It is with great pleasure that I am seeking to secure a teaching position within _________ School District. I believe that my instructional abilities, combined with my strong interpersonal skills and work ethic would greatly benefit your educational program.

I believe that education is the key to success for young students. As a teacher, I hope to motivate students in ascertaining their inner strengths and abilities and discovering what truly inspires them. I aim to provide a stimulating learning environment that encourages students to trust their opinions, while fostering confidence in order for students to realize their full potential.

I have come to realize how vital education is in the preparation of young people to achieve success in all endeavors set before them. I hope to instill a love of learning and desire for constant knowledge. I aim to guide students in developing the skills and knowledge in becoming mature, contributing members of our community.

I am eager to grow in my profession and would welcome the opportunity to discuss how my expertise would best meet the needs of your educational program. I have submitting my resume along with all the required paperwork and I am enthusiastic about the possibility of interviewing for this position.

Sincerely,

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2006

The purpose of the cover letter is to get the reader to look at the rest of what you sent. It should tell the reader what you are looking for (a job, teaching, grade levels, subjects, etc.) and why he should look at the rest of what you sent in. He will want to look at it if he thinks you have something he needs. So, sell yourself. What is it that sets you apart from the crowd, or at least tells him you have what he needs? Summarize that. Let the resume/application and any other materials you submit tell the rest of the story. What you think or feel is irrelevant if it doesn't match with what he is looking for.

FWIW when I was interviewing a lot of potential employees, I actually did a quick scan of every resume. But a well written cover letter made it easier for me to decide to invite a candidate in for an interview. Any candidate's material is only going to get a small amount of time to catch the reader's attention. Make the best use of it you can.

12. jam0033

jam0033 New Member

Feb 27, 2006

Thank you again for all your advice! I am feeling more prepared to actually sit and write this letter now. When I am done, I will post it for critique. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 27, 2006

The cover letter is short, short, short, and to the point. It should contain nothing but your interest in the position and why. Everything else is on your resume. When I served on interview committees, I looked for the ability to write a good, short, perfect cover letter the very first thing for each candidate.

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 27, 2006

I think people have different opinions on this. I had professors (who used to be principals or vice principals) who recommended telling a story (about you, what made you want to teach, etc) and really trying to grab the reader's attention to make him/her want to look at the rest of your paperwork.

15. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2006

Ah! I think there are two very valid points in the last few posts. You want to give the reader something that will make he read the rest of what you submitted. And you want to do it fast enough that he won't lose interest. Telling a story may be a way of doing this, but keep it short.

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 27, 2006

I agree that it should be relatively short. I wouldn't recommend making it longer than one page, but I wouldn't send out a letter that was only 2 paragraphs long either. :)