Help! My waist is gone

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by BethMI, Jul 22, 2008.

1. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

I don't know what happened, but I swear, my waist is gone! It looks different to me. :( I need to solve this problem and quickly, I am going to improve my eating, but I need exercises specifically targeted for that area. DOes anyone know any I can do at home? I have a Bowflex and a few exercise balls. I know, I should read the Bowflex handbook and see if they have any, but I'm lazy right now. Thanks!

3. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 22, 2008

:2up:My favorite thing to do is get out and walk or jog in the am when it is cooler. I also do crunches, the bicycle, from pilates the 100 for a start. Cardio will definately help!
    Good luck and if you need a supporter, I'm here!:2up:

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 22, 2008

Try cutting some sugar from your diet. I'm a self-proclaimed sugar junkie, but after cutting out as much sugar as I could, I lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks.

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

Seriously? 5 lbs in 2 wks? My problem is I get bored and eat. I know I shouldn't, but I do. AHHHH!

I have been pretty good about doing cardio-recumbant bike, treadmill, this summer, I really don't know where my waist went. My husband (who I just asked if I was losing my mind or my waist) said maybe, or maybe my hips have gotten smaller (that would be good...). Who knows!!

I appreciate the advice and support. Any more exercises would be great!

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 22, 2008

Beth, I know all too well about being bored and eating! You know how you can change what your cell phone says on the screen? I changed mine from "Verizon Wireless" to "Are You Hungry, or Just Bored?" It serves as a good reminder :)

7. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

I can not wait to get back to teaching that is when I lose my weight.. I should have been losing over the summer but gained and then lost 5 pounds.. I need my teaching :)

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 22, 2008

Mine has been lost for about 8 years. I've been thinking of looking for it next month. :lol:

9. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

Look for it with me!

Pisces-that's a good idea on the phone-just have to figure out how to do that! Thought about putting a sign on my fridge too.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2008

Three years ago I switched from drinking gartoraide to water. I lost ten pounds.

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

Use your exercise balls. I'm assuming they are those huge oversized balls that you can sit on...? Look online for various excercises to do with them. Those work your core very well.

--Lay flat on the floor with your hands palm down on either side of you. Put the ball between your feet, grip the ball with your feet toward the center and lift it straight up.

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2008

You can't spot reduce, but cardio will help to shrink areas all over your body. Your waist may or may not shrink as a result of cardio and this may be a result of too much sugar and fat in your diet. Walking, jogging, swimming, fitness videos, treadmills, etc. can help you out, but a BowFlex and an exercise ball will not help reduce the area. They will tone the area, underneath the fat.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2008

I was going to say the same thing. You can do all the ab exercises you want, but you wont see any results unless you do cardio to get the fat off the top of your abs. I know I have a ton of fat on my abs! However, really good cardio is the Turbo Jam workout videos. I lost 2 inches off my waist in the first week, and about 4-5 inches total in a month!

14. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

Beth I know you were considering lo carbing and I would very much recommend that! In the last two weeks I have lost 9.5 pounds!! And though I am 47 pounds away from my weight goal ~ I used to be 40 pounds heavier!!

Sugar is evil! LOL ( and I love it!)

15. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

I started the lo carb yesterday. I am so proud of myself, I didn't eat when I was bored!!!!! The one time I snacked, I truly was hungry, and I had 4 baby carrots. I don't really have a lot of weight to lose, just really want to tone up and get my waist back. Congrats Mrs. Sheila, that's awesome!!! those preschoolers are going to call you SKINNY!!! No "little boogers" this year.

I have been doing pretty well most of the summer with cardio-think I just need to kick it up a notch. I did my Tae Bo the other day and have been super sore-whoops! Didn't cool down/stretch well enough.

I will have to look into Turbo Jam-don't know anything about it, thanks Farfromhome. :)

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2008

Me too!

Help! I lost my waist too, and I lost this thread. Must be losing my mind, memory.. I think since I lost my job, everything else is just going downhill!

I think it has something to do with having a birthday, sitting at home more, and being on the computer. I have not had three months off in a row like this since I was a kid!

It is really awful. I look like I am expecting! My tank tops really make my tummy look big!

Help! :help: I got a kids' jump rope, and tried to jump and was exhausted! :unsure: I can walk all day. Get plenty of exercise at work ringing up customers, reaching over to scan dog food and card tables! :lol: I lift heavy bags and on my feet for 4-6 hours. Guess that isn't enough. I don't eat a lot, but I think sitting at the computer is what's doing it.

do I have to take a break from you guys??? :unsure: I saw a special on Nightline where office workers tend to gain weight from sitting. An experimental gym set up kept them active while working, and it took the weight off, along with diet and other changes.

Maybe I can stand up while I type! :rolleyes:

17. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

I started working out at Curves a few months ago. I like that it is only a 30 minute workout. I have made some friends there and who knows, all the networking may even help me find a job.

18. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 15, 2008

The best exercise I know is to sit on the floor and put a playground or rubber ball between your ankles. Squeeze them together to hold the ball. Bend your knees and then pull them up to your chest. Hurts like heck!

19. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

Well, walking will help whittle it a bit. Do you do crunches with your exercise ball? You can do them lying on your back on the ball. Also, turn over onto your stomach with your stomach resting on the ball. Put your feet against something where they won't move. Then, do a backwards crunch. This is good for your stomach and your lower back, which is often weak in women. Um, you can also do sideways crunches on the ball too to whittle your lovehandles.

Watch your sugar intake. Beans can make you bloated as well. Eat more fiber. Add some cardio. The next time your watching televison and a commercial comes on, do some weightlifting with your dumb bells or do some crunches on your exercise ball. Then, all you have to do is do some walking when you get home, 30-45 minutes. :)

Also, you can't target train an area away. It doesn't work like that. I wish it did, but it doesn't. :( Typically, if you start gaining weight in the waist area, you really need to drop your sugar intake and watch your fat. The fiber will help keep you full. When you're walking, do thigns with your arms like taking turns stretching them over your head, out to your side, to the front, etc.

That's all I can say. I know all the right things to do. Right now, I'm using the heat as an excuse not to do any of them! :p So it's all my fault. :p