Help my husband and me settle an argument!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Nov 16, 2008

Sometimes its not really about following the rules, if a student of mine did a review worthy of full marks I may make the point that it was not the correct genre but I would not deduct marks from the work, because fundamentally she did what you asked...the process was correct just the context was wrong, and in my experience many adults confuse those genres because they share almost identical language features on many levels,,,,,,,,in fact science fiction resides within fantasy genre and cannot really be extricated from it....kudos to your husband

2. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2008

well; I'd like to know what your student thought of her grade??

3. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 16, 2008

With everyone's advice in mind, I decided to let her slide on the fact that it wasn't science fiction. However, we did spend an extra class period discussing the difference and I asked her after class why Twilight would not be a good choice for science fiction.

And for this month's genre, I made sure to include the genre on the rubric and approve their books. So everyone's good to go for historical fiction!!

Thanks for all the advice! :)

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 16, 2008

Did the students do this entire assignment out of class? If they did not, then I would think you would have noticed the book the child was reading and ask before the assignment as due. If the students are doing the entire assignment at home, I would have asked the students to give me the book title when they started reading.

5. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Nov 18, 2008

My college roommate was a huge sci-fi fan. I know that he and his buddies considered shows like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" to be sci-fi, though the shows were about vampires.

Still, you specifically taught her the difference, so it doesn't really matter.

She may have just been excited about the book and figured she'd give it a shot. It's so much fun to have a project you're really passionate about. It's something I would have done at that age! I'm glad you didn't crack down on her, though she may have deserved it! :)

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2008

A few points off is definitely a good punishment. Just maybe, double check everything next time.