Help! My grade level chair is trying to destroy me :-( Advice?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Nov 16, 2009

This is my first year teaching 1st grade. My grade level chair, "Ms. H" is the only other teacher on my team. Her child is also in my class. :eek:

We were getting along relatively well, but I noticed sometimes she would do or say mean things to me (ie: i straigtening up papers in my room and she rolls her eyes and goes, "you're getting on my nerves! you're taking too long to pick those up! i oughta throw them in the trashcan. ha ha ha!) and play it off as "kidding".

Also, whenever I have a stack of papers in my room, she would take it upon herself to start thumbing through them. Sometimes she might find a worksheet she gave me to do for my class and if I hadn't done it, she would complain.

Plus, when I was reorganizing my room, she purposely kept coming in and out to see what I was doing.

Other times, she has come into my room and taken supplies. She'll be like, "Oh, you're not using these workbooks? Let me have like three" AS SHE IS TAKING THEM.

She also blames me whenever her daughter does something wrong in my classs OR if her daughter and another child have an issue, she blames the other kid. Her daughter is EXTREMELY sensitive and cries a lot and sometimes Ms. H will come into my room and interrupt my class to see what's going on.

Ms. H stopped talking to another teacher because her daughter was crying in my room and refused to leave the class (we were going on a bathroom break), and the other teacher came in and tried to support me by demanding the child come out the room and stop defying me as her teacher.

Ms. H's daughter STILL wouldn't come out (or tell us why she was crying. she just cries randomly), so the other teacher called an administrator on her. Ms. H got ANGRY and won't speak to that teacher anymore:eek:

Then, she started with the emails last week. Whenever she has a complaint about me, instead of walking right next door and talking to me, she sends an email.

First Email(Wed): she complained we weren't on the same place in the curriculum. We met about it Thursday and she says, "Oh, you've been using worksheets to teach the same skill from outside sources. Just use the ones from the book like I do and save yourself the extra work."

Thurs: Her child (who cries 24-7 in my class) complained her tooth was hurting, so i sent her to the nurse. Ms. H emails me saying in the future to send her child to her classroom whenever she has a health complaint

Monday: Ms. H normally leaves a copy of the weekly homework packet on my desk. I didn't see it, so I sent a child w/a note to her room asking if I could have a copy. She EMAILS me and says we're not on the same page yet again, complains that I lost the homework packet and says maybe we need to use different packets because she was going over some skills w/her daughter and it seems like we're in different places. THEN, to add insult to injury, she comes into my room w/a copy of the HW packet during lunch and snidely says, "This wouldn't happen if our desk were neater." :mad:

I am getting REALLY tired of her and I wish they would just put her child in HER room so she would have no reason to talk to me. I sent her an email explaining that it had only been a day since we discussed where we were in teh curriculum and I am now where I am supposed to be according to the curriculum calendar. I told her us not being on the same "page" was a reference to where I was in the past (Friday) not currently.

Now I'm scared to check my email because I'm sure she wrote back a catty reply.

She's been at the school longer than me and I know she has had issues w/other teachers in the past. However, the principal likes her, she's one of his favorites. :(

3. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

No advice really but :hugs:

4. reverie

reverie Companion

Nov 16, 2009

Wow, that has to be tough to deal with. Luckily, you'll only have to deal with her daughter's issues through the end of the year. However, the comments she makes are very belittling and I don't even know how I'd handle that. She shouldn't be e-mailing you if she's next door, that's just odd. Also, be careful what you say in your responses. If anything could be taken the wrong way, it could be used against you.

Hopefully if you just play along for this year, things will be better next year? Sorry I couldn't help more.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 16, 2009

Even if you think she is a favorite of the principal you should probably talk with him about this before it actually gets WORSE and it can.

Make copies of the ridiculous emails and talk to him.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 16, 2009

Yes, I would forward all the emails to the principal.

7. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

I bet she is emailing you to document the "conversations" or "problems"

8. City Girl

City Girl Rookie

Nov 16, 2009

Sorry to hear you have to go through all of this. I remember how how it was during my first year of teaching and I can't imagine what this teacher is making you go through. First of all, always document EVERYTHING, the emails she sends you, the conversations she has. Next time, when she does come into your classroom, find an excuse to leave your room so she has to talk to you in the hallways, where there are witnesses. I am not sure about going to your principal since you mentioned that they're "buddies," perhaps you can talk to your union rep and see what ways you can deal with her. Do not let her get to you about not being on the same place on the curriculum. Just remember, she is only your COWORKER and not your BOSS so do not let her boss you around. Next time if she does, just ignore her. Sometimes people tries to get on people's nerves to see how far they can go. By ignoring her catty remarks, you'll probably drive her crazy. Remember that you are the teacher in your own classroom and you do things your way. And if she complains about her child being in her room, let her complain to the principal. Usually principals do not want to place a child in a classroom with his/her parent because of favoritism. Just hang in there and keep us posted.

9. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Nov 17, 2009

aw, thank you so much everyone. :hugs: i really appreciate all the support and kind words. i'm not sure what her problem is, but my mom says she doesn't respect me. i am such a passive aggressive timid unconfident person that i have a hard time commanding a persons respect and carrying myself with the confidence of someone who knows what they are doing.

i will be sure to keep you posted.

i spoke to a trustworthy older teacher at my school who gave me some good advice and said my partner is borderline harassing me.

10. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Nov 17, 2009

agreed. what a pety rhymes with "witch". argh, life and being a teacher is hard enough without all this extra drama. she has nearly 15 years more experience than i do. she gets results. i'm a wet behind the ears new teacher. it's like a 5th grader beating up a baby. no honor or glory in that.