Help!!! My Daycare is giving me anxiety and panic attacks.

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by CherryBlossom92, May 22, 2016.

1. CherryBlossom92

CherryBlossom92 New Member

May 22, 2016

Hello,
    I am CherryBlossom, I am going to college to get my Associate Degree. I have recent took a job at a Daycare in March in the worst part of town. I am not kidding when I say worst part of town. I did not realize till the spring that prostitutes near the daycare. The bus stop that I go to I am constantly beeped at and panhandled for money, but this is not the worst part. In my daycare, I am a lead teacher. I asked to be lead teacher because I have worked with schoolagers since my freshman year at high school. I am totally and utterly burned out. The director walks all over me. For example, Friday she said in the strictest voice BE ON TIME to this meeting that I have to pay for while the daycare should be paying for my training. I am one hour early everyday, so I am never late. I do not get health care and I only have ten days out of the year for holidays. I try to stay separate from my other teachers after an incident when one of the teachers said she was going to be at the doctors. She came back with a new hairdo. That is the woman I usually work with she never tells me when she is on vacation or going to the doctors for her regular check up. Then my director gets on me for yelling at the children. I use the same voice as my co-teacher. She also wants me to keep this ONE child happy cause his mother pays the most out of the preschool. But he has been putting himself in danger to extent I cannot ignore anymore. But when my lunch comes. I cry I usually go behind the exit door and cry. Not just because the staff tramples all over me, but how the children are treated, and how the children treat me. There is one thing I have never told my director. I am prone to anxiety and panic attacks. Usually at lunch, I take my medicine to keep my cool. Due to a law restriction I do not need to tell her about what medicine I take. An it is likely if I even wrote it down she would not of looked at it. For example, She wanted to buy a pet fish for the children. I had to explain to her I am extremely allergic to fish, so I would not be able to clean out the fish bowl. It is now Sunday... and my panic attacks are getting worse. I think I am being biased against. Though it was not directed at me one of my African American teachers told the students " You are crazy as a cracker" though I do not know if it was meant in that term. I still felt a little insulted. An the first time I came in to school for a interview the director asked after I get my Associate Degree I would want to be an Administrator.... This happen to my mom as well when she was working at a college center

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 22, 2016

Have you started looking for a new job?

teacherintexas likes this.
  4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

May 22, 2016

I've worked in daycare for about 5 years while I was completing my degree. I was also a director at one point. There are MANY daycares to work for. There is no reason to stay at that one.

If you find the big names out there, you can search for positions on their website. Some big names to search for: The Goddard School, Bright Horizons, The Learning Experience. There are more but I don't know what state/area you are from.

Usually daycares are looking for people who have some education, experience, and are dependable. I found both my daycare positions on Craig's List under JOBS: EDUCATION. Both reputable and great places to work at. Both paid for all of my professional development and full benefits.

5. CherryBlossom92

May 22, 2016

Thank you for your replies this gives me a lot of hope in the future :grinning:

6. CherryBlossom92

May 22, 2016

Yes, but I need to find one near a bus stop because I do not drive. I am working on getting on my license for a while I had car phobia. Now I just need my step dad to be home long enough, so he can teach me how to drive.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 22, 2016

Please find a new job! There are AWESOME daycares out there you can work at.
    Even if you have to commute a little further to work, it'll be worth it.