Help! My current district won't release me from my contract!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by VaguelyRomantic, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Aug 11, 2017

Hello all! Newbie here :)

I was offered an Instructional Coaching position at another district (which would be a significant promotion and pay raise!), but my current district won't release me from my contract until they find a replacement. By Texas law, they have the right to retain me, but the other district will only hold my position for 30 days.

Has anyone been successful at helping your district/school find a replacement? Should I go straight to my superintendent? My principal and the HR director say they're going to start looking, but I'm afraid that they aren't going to try too hard.

Any advice?

3. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 11, 2017

I just responded to another post on this. My district will hire a sub to cover until the newly hired teacher is free from their contract. This has happened a few times. Also, I know our district has held teachers to our contract when they are leaving the district.

The only teachers who left suddenly were ones who retired or never wanted to teach again. I think if you don't follow the policies you can have some trouble with your state certification in my state.

Will the district that made the offer wait for you? It can't hurt to ask.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 11, 2017

I wish I had better news for you, but if your contract with your current district says they can hold you until a replacement is found then I don't think there is much you can do. Though does it not also come with a number of days? "Until a replacement can be found" could be an entire school year if they don't feel like looking very hard, so what's to stop that from happening? In PA the standard is to be held for 60 days unless a replacement is found sooner. I got a job late August a few years ago and I was released after about 2 weeks as a replacement was found quickly. Another person from my district was held the full 60 days (harder to fill position) but her new district kept the job for her. You could always ask the other place if they can extend the 30 days if needed. Since it's another school they're obviously familiar with the Texas policy of not being released. And what's the likelihood candidate number two for the job could get there faster than you? Chances are they're not looking to hire an inexperienced candidate for the position. Good luck to you and I hope you can get the new position.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 11, 2017

Districts only stick to the contract we sign. We wouldn't want to be let go with no notice either.

If you're really desperate, offer to make a decent donation to the HSA. Say to the superintendent when you speak to them in person, "I don't know if this will help, but due to the extra strain I'm putting on the district, I'd be willing to donate $500 so a program can be brought in for the students".

When I told an adviser I would do this, he told me in no way to do this lol.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 11, 2017

This happened to a friend of mine. Her super held her for 30 days. Her new super held the job for her and hired a sub. Yes, they can legally do it, although I think in most cases they let people go. It is actually cheaper to hire a sub while they look for new hire than to keep a contracted teacher on. It basically impacts two classrooms instead of one. Let your new super know what is going on. Doubtless he has been through this before, in one way or another. And, congratulations!