Help! My bunny's food has moths!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Sep 1, 2009.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

We've been noticing small moths in our home especially in the room where we keep our bunny. And then on Saturday, my son discovered lots of moths in the tupperware that houses the bunny food!!!! I threw it out and bought another bag of bunny food at another store. Bunny is not eating much of it and even her greens which she loves...she's not touching it either.
    So, I went in tonight to check her dish and a little moth flew out!!!

What's going on here?? Can anyone shed some light? Please?!
    :(

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

Ewwww! I hope my bunny hasn't eaten any larvae!!! :eek:

This really irks me.
    Thanks for the link, Jem. :(

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

Oh, yes. Moths have a very short cycle. The best thing to do is throw the contaminated food away, and kill, kill, kill. They might be hiding in other foodstuffs in the house.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2009

When you buy pet food, you might want to freeze it for at least 24 hours to kill any larvae.

7. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

My parents own a bird feeding store, but they have managed to avoid moth problems by only selling grains that were bagged for them very recently. The trick is to buy seeds that are fresh - that haven't been sitting on shelves for months (or in some cases, years!) You might talk to a specialty pet store. I know when it comes to bird feeding, the animals will turn their beaks up at old seeds when they have a feeder nearby with fresh seeds. Maybe that's bunny's problem with her current food??

If the bag is small, the freezer trick is a perfect fix for a wormy/mothy bag. Actually, you could freeze any bag as a preventive measure.

I wouldn't think the bugs could hurt the rabbit. She'd come across moths and larvae out in nature, too.

Finally, there are some eco-friendly moth traps that can kill any of the remaining critters. They are small, card stock tents lined with pherimones (sp?) and sticky glue. Not a happy ending for the moth, but it will help keep the grains in your house from getting infested.

Hope this helps!

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

I would buy it in small quantities (no more than a month) and keep the food in an air tight container. I got a set of snap lock containers at Costco for all of our parrot food.

9. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

The the airtight container would help in keeping the moths from spreading and it would keep any lingering moths in your house from getting in the new seed. It wouldn't keep them from being in food from the get-go, though. Often, the larvae are in the bag of food when it is purchased.

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2009

Thanks so much everyone! I know I can always count on the good intentions and advice of everyone here. You have helped tremendously.

we do purchase the food in small bags, one at a time. Now, I am going to freeze it for 24 hours.

:)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

And, for anyone who stores pet food for gerbils, hamsters, even cats and dogs, you might want to consider freezing before storage to prevent the same problem. Good luck, TeacherSandra.