HELP! My 3s are really 2 year olds!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Master Pre-K, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2007

Hello All,

Got a pressing issue, an did not want to monopolize somebody elses thread.

OMG..I am going insane!! If you read any of my posts, you know I am not fond of 2s. For every darling thing they do, I don't like twos!

but now, like it or not, I have three of them! I mean pullup-wearing, barely talking, tiptoe walking, you name it. they act like 2s (severe developmental delays)

biggest issue I face: They just like to wreck the room! Okay, let me rephrase that. they display typical 18-24 mo behavior, dumping stuff for cause and effect, waiting to see you pick it up.

oh it gets on my last nerves! they hide stuff in my housekeeping area, they dump entire containers of toys, and never want to put them back. they make it dangerous, because they dump toys, left and right and walk away, and somebody always slips on them!

Puzzles are the worse! It's like playing a board game with a 6 year old! they love to play but hate to lose. My kids keep taking out puzzles, dump them and can never get them back together! then they just sit there, staring at me, and start to cry!

they tear books!!!

whenever I try to do an activity, they just pull at my stuff and put it in their mouths

and they like to fight and bite each other...

HELP! I have a special ed. pre-k class ages 3-5...but these ARE NOT 3s!

:help:

3. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Dec 11, 2007

I'm hesitant to give you advice, because I'm sure you are a competent teacher ;) and I've never worked with a sped class per se. But to deal with the dumping, maybe you could limit how many puzzles are out at a time, and which centers are open? What activities do they give you the most trouble with? Is it usually whole group, what type of assistance do you have? My main "take away" from working with 2's is that they CAN do a lot of things- such as, put items away in the proper place without any reminders, clean up after themselves, understand what you're saying even when they won't talk to you, and be excellent helpers. The unfortunate flipside is that everything worthwhile takes lots of time and personal attention to teach, such as social skills to avoid all that biting, and getting them to consistently clean up their toys. If you want any other ideas, I'll try to come up with some, but I have a feeling you've heard them all. ;)

4. Myname

Myname Comrade

Dec 11, 2007

I would limit the open centers and i would limit amt of items in a center as well. I would also have a time during free play as table time.
    this would drive me nuts as well.

5. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Dec 11, 2007

Do you have another staff member to help shadow and teach these children to pick up after themselves, etc? Sometimes an extra set of hands can really help.

Also limiting the amount of items available, although I know, at times, it doesn't seem to matter if you have out two things or two thousand.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2007

can't shadow three kids! they go off in three different directions, or sit down in a corner, and start fighting!

I have closed off centers, but they find something else!

today, I decided to put some dolls in the water table, and a few squirts of dishwashing soap, with nice warm water. They loved that! I didn't let them stay in too long, and they were ok once they saw me pull the cover towards them, they moved out of my way!

keep the ideas coming...

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2007

that's it, in a nutshell!

It's like having a 2 yr old in a kindergarten classroom, if you ask me!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh. It sounds like a little boy I had a few years ago in kindergarten. He loved to wipe out tables, desk book shelves. He will always be my favorite student. He called me Bubbles all year long.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2007

my kids are making my hair turn gray before my very eyes!!!

makes me wanna become a part time college professor, and move into a nice little old senior building....

well..I did one of those already! :lol: must be the youngest person in my condo!