Help!! Messiest and sloppiest class ever

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by little317, Oct 10, 2008.

1. little317

little317 Groupie

Oct 10, 2008

At the beginning of the year we had many lessons on what each center should look like at the end of each day. I have pictures up to show the kids, and I have two "Clean Up Commanders." I have tried many strategies to entice my class to clean up after themselves. I try to make clean up time into a game and I award stickers, blocks in the jar (class reward system), table points, skittles, etc. It seems like there are a few kids who do care and end up cleaning for everyone, while the others are being lazy. Nothing is working to get these kids to clean up after themselves. Many seem very lazy. Some students will drop a crayon on the floor and leave it there. Then others will walk by it or step on it like they don't even care.

One of the worst areas of the room is the computer area. The computers run all day long, so I can't always be available to monitor the cleanliness of the computer area. The students have to write things down when they are on the computer. I have told them repeatedly to put the papers in their mailboxes. Halfway through the day I find a ton of papers all around the center.

I'm to the point where I want to take centers away. I don't think these kids respect the property in the room. I need some ideas.

3. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Oct 10, 2008

If it were me, I would deduct a designated amount of center time for the abusers. It wouldn't be fair to take it away from the kids that have been doing it right. I am assuming that the papers around the computer would have their names on it? All of those kids get time deducted. And anything else you notice that is not "proper" center time behavior.

They will get the message quick - because sitting at your seat doing nothing is not as much fun as being in centers.

4. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Oct 10, 2008

You need to have a center time dedicated to cleaning the room. No center fun, just cleaning. Warn them that when the room gets messy, they will clean it during centers, or even free play. If it's possible to impose free play cleaning on just the offenders, do that, but if you can't determine who the messy kids are, by all means, do it to the whole class. In the end, they'll all benefit from a clean room.

You could also do something right before a favored activity where that activity does not start until the room is clean.

I'd stop enticing and start handing out consequences.

5. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Oct 10, 2008

My kids last year were pretty bad about cleaning centers and I ended up making large stop signs that I would put up if the center was left too messy. If they left it messy, I closed it. At first it was just a day, but if it continued, it would be closed for several days at a time.

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Oct 10, 2008

The really frustrating part is, that when I go to the computer area, they don't even put names on the papers!! But I do like the idea of giving consequences for messiness. I have a few who I know are the culprits, but there are others that I'm not sure of.

7. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Oct 10, 2008

Yes, I can see that it would be frustrating. I like what K1teach suggested about closing a center that was not properly cleaned. Perhaps it would encourage them to do it right.

8. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2008

I have closed areas due to lack of cleaning the areas, if the kids like to use it the area will get cleaned.

9. missalli

missalli Companion

Oct 15, 2008

In the past I've used the 'magic paper/trash' game. "Okay kids, there's a piece of trash on the floor I have my eye on; the person I see pick it up gets a special prize/incentive!' All the kids start scurrying to be the one to pick up THAT particular piece. Of course, this game is totally fixed, and you definitely don't acknowledge the 'winner' until everything has been picked up!