Help Me!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MusicMaker, Apr 26, 2007.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Apr 26, 2007

My first graders are driving me nuts! I have had a couple of out of control children in my classroom this year and have had to struggle to maintain any sense of respect in my classroom. As a first year teacher, I've been trying to handle this as best as possible, but I'm feeling like such a failure. I haven't had any support from my mentor or school administration. It has been very deameaning and any confidence that I had has been torn down. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand, but as a first year teacher, you really need some guidance and mentoring, which I haven't received. When I do try to get help from another teacher friend of mine, they tell her to but out, which thankfully, she doesn't, which has kept me a little bit sane.

Anyway, one child was finally switched in December. I started reteaching rountines, etc, and everything seemed to be going much better, until we came back from spring break. Now, I know most kids are having difficultly focusing since they all have spring fever, but mine don't listen to me at all! I'm so frustrated, I'll try anything! Nothing keeps their attention, and the other child makes it impossible to get through a lesson. I end up having to call the office, which doesn't help, and he comes back with the same disrespectful behavior again and again.

It seems like anything right now would just be a "band-aid" and not really help much, but I'm desperate. I want to make the rest of the school year as best as I can for the students and myself.

I'm the type of person that works 12 hour days and still feels bad that I didn't get everything done. I just don't know what to do...

Does anyone have suggestions for center transition songs or games that we could play so I can hold their attention on the carpet when we are starting a lesson? I'd appreciate any advice.

3. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Apr 26, 2007

I am a first year teacher as well but am in fourth grade. I have students that show very little respect also. I have learned that parent support is the key. I keep all of the parents numbers in a notebook and all I have to do now is grab that notebook and the behavior stops. I do not wait until after school to call the parent. Once I am able to get the students on an independent task I am able to pull the student to the side and call the parent. The parent normally handles the problem on the spot. Also I have learned that rewards work very well. I give out tickets for good behavior that allows them to go into a raffle for treasure box toys. I have also seen teachers have them collect so many tickets in order to do a task they like such as computer time. I hope I was help.

4. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Apr 27, 2007

That's what I do in my classroom. I teach 2nd grade, I have my students in 3 groups and they have to earn group tickets. I have 3 cups i sit on my desk that are labeled group 1, group 2 and group 3. When they misbehave i will tell the group who lost the ticket and i reward i will say i like how group 1 is working i am going to give them 2 tickets. On Fridays I count the tickets and the group with the most tickets gets to go to the treasure box. Trust me it works! On fridays when a group loses i hear them say we have to earn more tickets next week.