Help me write my bio for school website...ack

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs Ski, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 23, 2010

I am having a hard time writing this bio, because I do not wish to reveal that I am a first year teacher. Any advice suggestions? I will work on it a bit and post a draft. (i just don't want this post to get too long)

Your biography should be written in third person and should have a sentence or two about each of the following topics:
    current employer or firm
    expertise and experience
    previous employers
    education and training
    awards and honors
    community and professional service
    teaching, writing and publishing
    special projects and accomplishments
    brief personal details (family and hobbies)
    (NOTE: Teacher biographies should be mostly about professional experience with some brief mention of family, interests, and hobbies. You can include a more personal and fun introductory paragraph about yourself, classroom philosophies, etc… on your own teacher website.)

Here is the example they gave: "Teacher" is in her third year of teaching 2nd grade at Academy. Prior to teaching at Academy, "teacher" was a teacher at School in California where she taught for three years. "Teacher" received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Elementary Education from Western Governors University. She has also received training in Dream Weaver web site design from the Utah State Office of Education. In addition, she has had training in Mimio, Elmo, PowerPoints, and Mac and PC software. "Teacher" currently holds a Level 1 Utah Professional Educator License in the state of Utah.
    "teacher" has been nominated two years in a row for the Apple for the Teacher Award presented by the Standard-Examiner and Newspapers in Education. She is also active in her local community teaching Sunday School and working at summer camp. "teacher" is currently serving on both the Wellness Committee and the Math Curriculum Committee at Academy.
    "Teacher" has a son in the 10th grade. In her spare time, she loves traveling, cooking, and watching her son play basketball and soccer. They have two cats and look forward to their next adventure.

3. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 24, 2010

Okay here is my first draft.

Mrs. ski is excited to be teaching 4th grade at Academy this year. Mrs. ski received a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Elementary Education (Interdisciplinary Studies) from Western Governors University. She was grateful to join Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education. She has also received the Praxis Recognition of Excellence. Mrs. ski currently holds a Level 1 Utah Professional Educator License in the state of Utah.

Mrs. ski has been a member of the Layton MOMS Club for 3 years where she served as Vice President. Mrs. ski has two children, one son and one daughter. She enjoys crafting, scrapbooking, cooking, swimming, and spending time with her family.

I feel it is bland and totally lame. Should I include student teaching? Subbing? I feel those might be huge clues of being a first year teacher.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 24, 2010

Just curious, why the concern for sharing that you are a first year teacher?

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

I agree! Play up how you are excited to share and try out all your amazing bright ideas!

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 24, 2010

This is far from perfect, but may give you some different ideas ...

Mrs. Ski is beginning her teaching career this year with the 4th grade at Academy. Along with her passion for teaching, she brings an indepth knowledge of ____, ____ and ___ that will ensure her students find success in the classroom and beyond.

Mrs. Ski earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Elementary Education (Interdisciplinary Studies) from Western Governors University. She is a member of Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education. She has also received the Praxis Recognition of Excellence in (year). Mrs. ski currently holds a Level 1 Utah Professional Educator License in the state of Utah.

Mrs. ski has been a member of the Layton MOMS Club for 3 years where she served as Vice President. Mrs. ski has two children, one son and one daughter. She enjoys crafting, scrapbooking, cooking, swimming, and spending time with her family.

7. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I feel like the parents and to some extent the students will not give the respect I deserve as an educator. I don't want them to feel that they can push me around because I am new.

see this thread
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=111662

8. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

I totally understand on how you're hesitant to mention it's your first year. My first year I had the same problem for my bio so I just played up that I love working with children and helping them grow with their education. I also mentioned what degree I earned and that I really looked forward to starting the year off, working with the kids and developing relationships with their families. I didn't want to mention 1st year only because some parents will judge you on it and I did have parents call me out on how young I looked. But overall, nothing came of it. Don't worry about your bio too much. :)

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

I don't want to mention how many years I've been teaching either, but only cause I lie about my age!!!:lol:

Personally, I HATE HATE HATE the bios for teachers. I think it is too much info in the public forum. Anyone ever hear of identity theft? However, my school does it too. I just mention as little as I can get away with mentioning. Really, is it anyone's business if you like to whittle or watch baseball or play the kazoo? I think it sends a mixed message--I'm a person--oh, wait, I'm a professional. Anyway, that's not what you asked.

How about something like this:

Mrs. Ski looks forward to a wonderful school year at ______. Though new to the full time staff this year, Mrs. Ski's experiences as a sub have honed her skills as a teacher. Her educational background includes a _____degree from ____. Her ___awards recognized her outstanding achievements in education. Not only is Mrs. Ski qualified by the state of ________ she has also this credential. Some of you may know her from her stint as VP of the moms thing. Mrs. Ski anticipates a great year as we strive to see each student reach their full potential. After a summer of enjoying her family time, scrapbooking whatever else I can't remember, she is ready to get started.

Something like that maybe???

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

I definitely understand your hesitation. My first year, I always played up my student teaching to my kids as "my old school" - they didn't need to know it was student teaching! This year, I saw one of the kids who was a senior in my first class, and I asked her if, just between us, she and her classmates had realized they were my first class. They didn't so it was a happy moment for me.

On the otherhand, that same year I sometimes would overhear students complaining about other teachers and mentioning that it was that person's first year. One of the most common things I heard was that so and so doesn't know what they're doing, or that they didn't control the class. Some people like to be honest with it, but personally I think it's throwing yourself to the sharks.

As regards your problem, luckily I don't think 4th graders are as vicious with new teachers as high schoolers. If you still want to keep it quiet, though, I'd say what you are doing is fine. Mention some of the programs you've worked with, or specific methods, workshops, etc. For example, if you had a tech class in which you learned how to use certain programs of technologies, include it. Don't lie, but you don't have to outright say this is your first year. You've been trained in X, you are familiar with Y (even if it was just from student teaching). You can say that you will be joining the school this year, but you don't need to say its your first year ever. Good luck!

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

Yup. Good advice. Also, PARENTS tend to throw newbies to the wolves.

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 25, 2010

I always tell my kids about my time "teaching" headstart and first grade... those were my practicums and student teaching. Mine are so young that they would never question it :)

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 25, 2010

Huh. New teachers are treated very well in my district by everyone.

But, I understand now your hesitation.

14. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

:thumb: I never knew bios were required and even worse, that they are telling you what you must write :eek: I've seen principals with no bios. (Though I think everyone should mention a little something, but it should not be so detailed and demanded). It should be your choice as a professional. I would never name any schools or dates, etc. It's no one's business.

15. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

Parents are quick to throw new teachers under the bus. What I wrote when I was a first year teacher was that I had experience working with students in 1st, 4th, and 5th grades. (Which wasn't a lie...I had tutored and done small group, etc. in those grades)

I had a parent go to the principal about how I couldn't know what I was doing my second year of teaching because I was still in school...GETTING MY MASTERS DEGREE!! LOL

16. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

A bit about "being the new teacher" : Last year was my first year. I was fully open about that to parents and the community. They were AWESOME! They were supportive, helpful and understanding. No one freaked out or was harsh dues to the fact that I was a new teacher. Maybe I'm in the minority. But WE ALL started out as new teachers at one point in time. I don't see the big deal about hiding/ avoiding telling people that you were the new teacher. Just my 2 cents.

17. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 25, 2010

Maybe...
    Mrs. Ski is excited to join the faculty of Academy teaching fourth grade students. Mrs Ski graduated from Western Governors University with a BA in Elementary Ed (Interdisciplinary Studies). While attending college, she was honored to earn a membership in Kappa Delta Pi which is the international honor society for education majors. Upon graduation, she earned a Level 1 Utah Professional Educator License and was pleased to receive the Praxis Recognition of Excellence.

Ms. Ski enjoys spending time with her two beautiful children, scrapbooking, cooking, and swimming. She’s been a member and officer of the Layton MOMs club for the past few years, and hopes to continue working with community groups in the future.

18. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

What I did my first year was this:

Ms. E1T1 is extremely excited to join the Wildcat family as she has heard nothing but praise about the XXHS academic program. This year will be Ms. E1T1' first year with XXHS, but she has prior experience with YYHS in XYISD teaching Spanish levels 3 and 4 as well as Intro to World Languages.

YYHS is actually just my student teaching, but I just referred to it as prior experience. Could you do it that way?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010