Help me with this situation please

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by pommom, Nov 9, 2018.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Nov 9, 2018

I have been working as a full time sped para for a week.
    I was given a schedule to follow.
    Long story short, I am seriously only needed for about 3 hours of the school day.
    There is too much scheduled time for me to be assisting with sped office duties, but no one has had anything for me to do yet. I am also scheduled 2 hours in a sped room where there are 2 sped teachers and 3 of us sped assistants in a single room with only 3 kids. These kids are not at the level where there should be 5 educators in the room.
    The sped coordinator started to sense that maybe we need to change up my schedule to put good use of time. So the sped team including myself brainstormed together to see where I can be placed throughout the day (to me this should have been done before I started the position).
    As it turns out, they have the coverage they need. The only idea they can think of in 45 minutes is to make my lunch duty longer.

I am someone who loves to stay busy. The best part of my work day is those few 3 hours where I know I am being put to good use with my assigned kiddos. That short time where I am not just placed in a room to put me "somewhere". I am seeking a position where I would be truly needed.

Any advice?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2018

Yikes. I’m hoping they don’t cut your hours back to part time. As the year goes on, other kids might be identified/classified and maybe you could help with those kids?

4. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Nov 10, 2018

When I was a para, I was specifically hired & assigned to a self-contained Sped room. I was also told in my interview that being a para required flexibility. So I had morning playground duty, lunch duty, and at various times of day/week I took a variety of kids in the hall for tutoring or catching up on work. I even filled in at the front desk one morning a week. If they cannot find ways to keep you busy, volunteer or give them ideas.