Help me with my resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoebottom, Jul 21, 2011.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Okay.. first off I am not sure how much information I am allowed to post on here, so I left off my name and adress and I changed the name of the school, town and teacher I worked with

Objective

Seeking a permanent position as an educator to provide a positive learning atmosphere where students may acquire the academic and social skills to become a productive member of society.

Education

schools name
    Master of Elementary Education
    •Graduation date: May 2012
    •Overall GPA 3.3

schools name
    Bachelor of Arts in Education
    •Graduation date: May 2010
    •Certification: K-6 Elementary Education
    •Areas of Endorsement: 7-12 General Science, 7-12 Biology, and 7-12 Social Studies
    •Major GPA 3.64 Overall GPA 3.15

schools name
    Associate of Arts
    •Graduation date: August 2005
    •Overall GPA 3.12

Education Honors and Activities
    •Kappa Delta Pi Educational Honor Society
    •Phi Theta Kappa
    •Chancellor’s List
    •Dean’s List
    •National Dean’s List
    •National Education Association (NEA)
    •National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
    •Teachers of Tomorrow (TOT)
    •Mississippi Association of Educators (MAE)

Internships

school Attendance Center town, MS
    Graduate Studies Observation January 2011-May 2011
    Clinical Instructor Mrs.name, 1st grade

•Implemented current research practices in a small group setting
    •Developed guided reading lessons for individual students
    •Kept running records of student progress through bi-monthly testing sessions (ARI)

Rankin Elementary town
    Student Teacher January 2010 – April 2010
    Clinical Instructor: Ms. name, 5th grade

•Self contained classroom
    •Wrote lesson plans that met state and national standards from the conceptual frameworks
    •Planned lessons that integrated mathematics and science objectives
    •Planned and implemented a 10-day thematic unit that crossed curriculums
    •Researched and implemented reading comprehension strategies
    •Created and implemented cooperative learning groups
    •Continued classroom management and managed classroom discipline

school Elementary town, MS
    Action Lab Teacher September 2009 – December 2009
    Clinical Instructor: Mrs. name, 1st grade

•Planned and taught a 5-day thematic unit
    •Implemented classroom management skills
    •Built individual literacy interventions for five students
    •Completed an Analytical Reading Inventory and planned accommodations for an individual student
    •Observed an inclusion classroom (Sensory Deficit Disorder)
    •Proctored a state benchmark test

school Elementary toown, MS
    Field Experience Spring 2009 (35 hours)
    Clinical Instructor: Ms. name, 4th grade

•Planned and taught a 3-day lesson plan
    •Observed classroom organizational skills and classroom management
    •Tutored students on individual basis in various subjects

3. meggierie

meggierie Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

I want to just start out with a disclaimer. I am a new teacher (only taught one year under contract) and have never been on a hiring committee. I may be totally off on this, but it looks like you have done some wonderful things in actual classrooms with actual students. It seems to me that should be listed earlier on your resume than the list of honors and activities. Any teacher can join the NEA, but not all of them are interested in cooperative learning groups and cross-curriculum thematic units. It seems like the honors and activities should be the icing on the cake at the end.

I also don't know that I would list the Clinical Instructor's name with each internship. I list my student teaching experience on my resume as well since I am new to the profession, but don't name my master teachers on my resume itself. It just seems like it shouldn't matter who your Clinical Instructor was because your resume is about you and how awesome you are.

Again, I'm new to this, and maybe someone else will disagree, just my 2 cents.

4. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 21, 2011

The only reason the names of my CI's are on there is because in school we were told to put them on there, it never crossed my mind they might not be needed.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

just some of my notes

6. meggierie

meggierie Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

It might be completely different where you are. I don't know. I've never heard that out here in California.

7. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Thanks for the help I will get on it when I get home and post again.

8. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 21, 2011

OK so I don't need to put an objective or my GPA?

9. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Well I was advised to do that on mine for both by my career center at school. Your GPA is good so I would leave it on there. Your objective is questionable. I think it is fine, but I would advise to check out your college career center too. I am alumni for mine and I still got assistance. It can help out a lot.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

I graduated with a 3.75 and I don't have my GPA listed on my resume. I don't think yours is high enough to have it on your resume. Also, I don't think an objective is necessary.

11. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

I just went by what my career center told me.

12. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 21, 2011

I also suggest you remove the objective. There's really not much of a point to an objective on a plain-jane teacher resume (I think it would be different for specialized positions -- Reading Recovery, instructional coach, etc). I would also suggest that you include a section of skills. Do you have any training in specific programs (guided reading, reader's/writer's workshop, etc) or experience with technology (smartboard, airliners, doc cameras)? Have you attended any PD that is worth mentioning? I always list my GT training and other specific trainings in my area.

As to the names of your cooperating teachers, I think it is up to you. I always list mine, but it is because I am applying in the same area and any connection may help.

I also list my education as:
    Aug 08 - May 10 XYZ University
    Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2011

Leave off the objective and the GPA. I always include a list of references. Make sure your resume is no more than 2 pages. If you can make a quick brochure that sells YOU that will really help you to stand out. If you can include pics from your experiences of your classroom or teaching, that would be a bonus. It gives the person that is reviewing resumes a personal connection to who you are. Good Luck!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

To be honest, I would stop tweaking and concentrate on getting the resume out there!

Read through it this morning, make your last set of revisions, give it ( a real, paper copy) to 3 people to proofread, and start sending it (with a solid cover letter) to every principal you can find.

A great resume, received after a school's staffing is complete, won't do you any good.

15. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 22, 2011

Thanks for the help everyone. I have been sending out my resume between tweaks of it. I just change a little when needed and send it out. I now have the final copy of my resume and cover letter, thanks to the help that I have had on here.

16. Candace Davies

Candace Davies New Member

Jul 25, 2011

I'm glad to hear that you are tweaking your resume before you send it out each time. It's important that your resume is targeted to each specific teaching job. This means highlighting those skills and accomplishments you have that are described in the job listing. School districts will be looking for candidates that have these specific qualities so it's important for you to put them front and center. I agree with others that you don't need an objective.

Schools aren't so much interested in what you want out of a position; they are more interested in what you can bring to the position. Instead of an objective, I would input a profile summary at the top of your resume as a way of introduction. this is a great way to highlight your top skills and strengths right off the bat - to capture the employer's attention. I also agree that your awards should be listed at the end of your resume so that your experience is listed sooner. Good luck in your job search!

Good luck with your job search.

Candace Davies
    A+ Resumes for Teachers