Help Me to Ban Term Paper Mills - Stop Plagiarism and Cheating

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teaching4Life, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Teaching4Life

Teaching4Life Rookie

Oct 24, 2007

Hello,

=================
    October 30, 2007 UPDATE: I am maintaining an updated list of sites that have banned term paper mills. You can follow the story and help spread the word by visiting this page:

http://www.essayfraud.org/forum/Ban-Term-Paper-Mills-Social-Bookmarking-Sites-t587.html
    =================

:help:

Please spread the word and help me! As a single person with a busy schedule, I can only do so much.

I am a high school teacher from Minnesota. Every day for the last year I've dealt with the problem of text-link-ads.com selling term paper ads on legitimate educational sites that my students use. I am happy to announce that after contacting text-link-ads.com, the owner, Patrick Gavin, has promised to ban all future link purchases by term paper mills! I applaud his courageous decision to support academic integrity. I am certain that he is the first of many owners of social linking sites who will make the same decision. In fact, I am also happy to announce that ezinearticles.com, articlealley.com, del.icio.us, and simpy.com have also decided to ban term paper and essay mills after receiving my concerned email.

Despite the great news about text-link-ads.com, ezinearticles.com, articlealley.com, del.icio.us, and simpy.com, there is still much work to be done in stopping these SPAMMERS. I've compiled a list of term paper sites that are now SPAMMING all of the popular, social bookmark sites. These are the term paper SPAM sites that you can help me to get banned:

bestessays.com
    custom-essay.net
    custom-essay.org
    custom-essay.ws
    custom-writing.org
    customessaymeister.com
    customessays.co.uk
    customwritings.com
    disertationexpert.co.uk
    essay-paper.net
    essayexpert.co.uk
    grandessays.com
    ma-dissertations.com
    masterpapers.com
    mastersthesiswriting.com
    mindrelief.net
    overnightessay.com
    proessay.com
    standoutessay.com
    writing-services.org
    yourdissertation.com

Please help me to ban the above term paper SPAM sites by joining me in complaining to one or more of the remaining social bookmarking sites:

Apbnews.com
    Backflip.com
    Barksbookmarks.com
    Bibsonomy.org
    Blinkbits.com
    Blinklist.com
    Bloglines.com
    Blogmarks.net
    Blogmemes.net
    Bluedot.us
    Bmaccess.net
    Buddymarks.com
    Business-planet.net
    Citeulike.org
    Connotea.org
    Corank.com
    Digg.com
    Diigo.com
    Emodrama.com
    Facebook.com
    Feedmarker.com
    Feedmelinks.com
    Folkd.com
    Freedomslut.com
    Furl.net
    Gather.com
    Givealink.org
    Gravee.com
    Illestlyrics.com
    Indianpad.com
    Kaboodle.com
    Kick.ie
    Kinja.com
    Linkagogo.com
    Linkarena.com
    Linkatopia.com
    Listible.com
    Ma.gnolia.com
    Maple.nu
    Markaboo.com
    Megite.com/discover/
    Meneame.net
    Metalz.info
    Mister-wong.com
    Mister-wong.de
    Musigg.org
    Myjeeves.ask.com
    Mylinkvault.com
    Netvouz.com
    Newsvine.com
    Pixelgroovy.com
    Plugim.com
    Propeller.com
    Putvote.com
    Searchles.com
    Segnalo.alice.it
    Shadows.com
    Shakk.us
    Sk-rt.com
    Smarking.com
    Soc.ialize.us
    Socialogs.com
    Spotback.com
    Spurl.net
    Squidoo.com
    Taggly.com
    Tagtooga.com
    Tapemoi.com
    Technorati.com
    Twitter.com
    Wirefan.com
    Wists.com

Please help me to spread the word! If respected educators complain, the social bookmarking sites will listen and ban all of the term paper sites!

Thank you very much for your support! :hugs:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 24, 2007

I agree with you.

However, sometimes I think these cheater sites can be helpful! They help us weed out those students who clearly don't belong in college in the first place, as any plagiarism detector will be able to detect the plagiarism. And plagiarism is an expellable offense, as well it should be.

Honest students do not patronize such things, desperate as they might be at times. And when students whine that "I was desperate, it was my only out, I was overwhelmed, I was just too busy, I couldn't think of anything to say, etc, " that's just further proof.

No, I think these websites are disgusting, but I think the students who use them are even more disgusting. Let the wide nets be thrown out, and let those who swim into them be tossed overboard. And no, a student is NEVER sucked into those sites 'accidentally.' Such a claim is absurd. Life is full of choices. Those who, knowing full well what the consequences might be, who still choose poorly, usually get exactly what they deserve. This applies to all of life, by the way.

All of the professors I know submit a few lines of almost every submitted paper to Google; it will pick up "coincidences" in phrasing almost as well as "Turnitin" or other purchased software that all colleges now use.

I have a very strict view of plagiarism, and of course, nobody here is surprised to hear that. I consider it stealing, and a plagiarist is a thief. The same kind of thief that would take money out of a cash register till. And yes, I was that strict in the middle school, too.

4. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Oct 24, 2007

A large part of the solution is TEACHING what plagiarism ACTUALLY IS. I saw examples of plagiarism in my Master's classes, and these were supposed to be educators. Students and teachers alike don't know what plagiarism is. They don't know how to avoid it. My students in my Biology classes think that "cut-and-paste" counts as your own work. And to purchase a paper would probably seem super easy. Make it known what happens when you get caught, and use cheaters as examples.

5. Teaching4Life

Teaching4Life Rookie

Oct 24, 2007

You have outlined one of the major misconceptions that teachers have about term paper mills. Not a single one of the term paper mills that I have listed above sells prewritten papers. They charge a fee per page to write 100% original papers. Google searches and Turnitin are abslutely useless in detecting these papers that are written from scratch. Google and Turnitin can only detect word-for-word text that already exists in other, previously-indexed documents.

So, I hope you now realize that we must all work together and report the sites above for SPAMMING.

I'm sure that you've heard the saying, "The tempter is worth than the thief." As teachers, we should do whatever we can to rid the social bookmarking sites of the tempting presence of term paper mills. Despite what you may assume, honest students fall prey to temptation, as well. This is not a black/white issue. You can't presume to know the personal circumstances of every student at any particular time. I doubt you would have the same hands-off attitude if it were sites offering drugs, alcohol, or weapons to our students. As teachers, we have a duty to be very much hands-on in stopping these sites from extending their reach into kids' social circles.

Who's with me?

6. Teaching4Life

Teaching4Life Rookie

Oct 24, 2007

Do no other teachers care about this issue?

7. boredstudent

boredstudent New Member

Oct 25, 2007

what about care of students?

As a teacher you shouls know that the main responsibility of a teacher is to 'teach' students and care of them. Instead of taking your precious time to surfing the inet you'd better give it to your students teaching them to be honest and responsible persons.
    'Social bookmarking' ban will not give students the right idea: cheating will not collapse till students want to cheat.

8. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, there is always going to be cheaters. There is outright theft, which should be punished, and there is accidental plaigarism, which should be educated away.

I myself was accused of such a couple years ago. I made some mistakes in my writing and didn't cite some things that should have been cited. My professor alerted me to this and his suspicions. I chose to cooperate with him and sent him an electronic copy and he had it scanned in turnitin and it came back that it was authentic. He let me off then with a warning to use caution in the future and I have. The episode has never repeated itself.

What I find more disturbing is the intellectual elitism expressed by some. Yeah, let's root out cheaters but let us not draw more in conclusion from cheating than there is. I mean really, it's just sad.

9. Teaching4Life

Teaching4Life Rookie

Oct 25, 2007

Excuse you, sir. I do a darn good job both inside and outside of the classroom. Please do not assume that you know anything at all about my personal practices.

Unfortunately, I cannot teach students who are not in my classes. What I do outside of the classroom, on my own time, helps to remove sources of temptation from sites that are popular with students.

Again, I ask, would you be fine with leaving drug- and weapon-selling sites in place and letting impressionable minors make "responsible" decisions?

10. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 25, 2007

There are drug and weapon selling sites? :unsure:

11. boredstudent

boredstudent New Member

Oct 30, 2007

being 'responsible'

drugs will always attract until they are allowed. It is much healthier to not use drugs because you do not want to and am quite sure they are really harmful...

12. Teaching4Life

Teaching4Life Rookie

Nov 3, 2007

Much success so far!

I am happy to announce that in only one week since I started the campaign, I have gotten 11 major link providers to ban term paper mills!

I have no intention of stopping. In fact, I'm just getting started. Please help me by reporting the term paper mills to the remaining link providers. You can find the lists of term paper mills and their link providers at

essayfraud.org/forum/Ban-Term-Paper-Mills-Social-Bookmarking-Sites-t587.html

Thank you!

13. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Nov 3, 2007

No thanks.

14. Teaching4Life

Teaching4Life Rookie

Nov 3, 2007

Jarenko, you are a student who was caught plagiarizing. This thread is not directed towards you. This thread is geared towards teachers and adults who actually care about academic integrity. If you don't want to help, don't comment.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 3, 2007

Teaching4Life, plagiarism is a serious legal matter. So is slander. Please refrain from personal attacks here.

16. Teaching4Life

Teaching4Life Rookie

Nov 3, 2007

TeacherGroupie, slander is VERBAL untruth with the intent to unduly harm. What you mean to state is "libel," which is written untruth with the intent to unduly harm. I have not engaged in libel, either. Jarenko admitted to plagiarizing in a previous post in this thread. I typed the truth. Please read carefully before making accusations.