Help me shop!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mollydoll, Aug 24, 2009.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

If anyone else is bored and awaiting the start of their school:

I start orientation Wednesday, so I need some new clothes. Luckily, I should get my financial aid money tomorrow. I already bought some shoes so I would be sure to have them on time:

http://www.zappos.com/adidas-by-stella-mccartney-kanti-shadow-dusty-rose-feather

The ones I have are a grape purple color. I'm not sure what to buy. I am going to be super busy tomorrow, but on my way home (I have about 8 hrs rt driving to do), I can hit Ann Taylor Loft for about 30-40 minutes before they close. So, I need to know what I want beforehand.

Any suggestions? I prefer skirts. Stress and too much baking has caused me to go from a size 4 to an 8 (I'm 5'8). Actually, I was too thin before, so this is not a bad thing. It just means my current options are severely limited unless I go shopping. I will wear black (preferably), white, dark grey and purples. Other colors, no matter how cute, annoy me after a few hours.

I don't really care what anything costs. I tend to prefer buying better quality items that I will take care of and wear for several years. I am planning to spend $500-800 on some basic pieces anyway over the next couple of months since I don't have a lot suitable for work. For now though, I just need maybe 3-5 pieces that I can mix and match for the next few weeks.

I already have a great white shirt and more black cardigans than anybody needs. I have a black pencil skirt, a knit tiered skirt that is more casual, but if I dress it up a bit will be fine, and I've got black pants although I'm not a huge fan of wearing pants.

www.anntaylorloft.com

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

Molly--I love that skirt but you are right--I do not think it would look good with flats. It would look great with heels.

STG--Thoses shoes are great. I have been very happy with every pair of American Eagle shoes that I have gotten from Payless. They are very comfortable and last quite a while. I love Kohl's for anything. They have great prices and you cannot beat their sales.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

Those are cute shoes.

I am planning to go hit the mall and shop around a bit when I can. In the meantime, Ann Taylor is the most convenient, especially since the sizes there mostly run true, so I can do a super quick hit and run at the store I will pass on my way home. I don't have a lot of patience for shopping. I always say that I love to buy things, but I hate to shop. :lol:

My roommate is the same way. I was with him and his boyfriend at the mall last year. My roomie spent $1100 in Nordstrom on about 8 items, including shoes, in less than an hour.

His boyfriend spend about the same in 7 hours and what felt like every store in the mall. The worst part of that was he spent most of his money in Nordstrom on the things he mentally picked out before we went anywhere else. He went into Xpress with another girl we were with, and they were in there for almost TWO HOURS and left after having each bought a teeshirt.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

I love the leopard flats.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

I've never warmed up to Kohls. I've only been in one, and it always looks like a junk pile with clothes on the floor (mostly because they try to cram too many items on the racks, so if you touch anything, 5 or 6 hangers pop off) and the wait at the register is usually at least 30 minutes*. The few times I've found some cute Apt 9 things, I end up having to leave.

* last time there was 1 register open and 1 guy doing exchanges (apparently customer service was closed), a woman with a basket full of napkin rings and other small kitchen type things and about 4 other people. I waited about 15 minutes until I was unable to stand anymore and had to leave. I was mad too because they had a good deal on some kitchen aid utensils I really wanted.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2009

Honestly I hate Kohl's too...& Old Navy & Mervyn's. You & I both agreed in another thread that we'd rather have less higher quality clothing than a whole bunch of cheap clothing.

Hopefully you have these stores nearby:

www.anthropologie.com - unique, eclectic

www.nyandco.com - nice work attire style & good prices

www.bananarepublic.com - really nice up-to-date styles

www.thelimited.com - nice, classic styles & won't completely break the bank

www.nordstrom.com - find them on sale, you know it's good quality

www.jcrew.com - nice

www.whitehouseblackmarket.com - nice slothing in shades of black and white

www.gap.com - I don't shop here, but you may find something. They're similar to Old Navy in my opinion

www.talbots.com - nice classic styles

www.jjill.com - casual style clothing

www.coldwatercreek.com - a little conservative for my taste, but nice

www.chicos.com - You may like them

www.macys.com - good quality, you should be able to find some nice things

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

I currently live near Short Pump in Richmond which has most of those, and will be moving near Tysons in Virginia which has more stores than I want to contemplate. I'll gear myself for a big shopping trip in a few weeks.

For now, though, no time. That's why I love ATL.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 25, 2009

I love ATL dresses. I have a lot of them and always get compliments on them. In fact, I am wearing one today:)

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 25, 2009

Wow, your Kohls sounds nothing like ours. It is always neat and clean and plenty of associates to help and check you out (except the month before and after xmas LOL). I have good luck finding pants that fit well there so I go there at least once every 3 months when I get my coupon in the mail.

13. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

I just went to JcPenny's today and they had tons of cute stuff at 75% off. If you have one near you, it's worth checking out.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2009

I just got rid of those black shoes because they pinched my feet. Ug, I have such stupid wide feet!