Help me plan my writing workshop...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by runsw/scissors, Jun 4, 2009.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

Well, I don't even know if I'm going to have a true writing workshop. I have decided two things though: only on rare occasions will writing projects be taken home for homework, and they will be doing more kinds of writing next year. The first because more than a few kids never brought their work back this year and had to start over multiple times, the second because we only did a few pieces of writing in 5th grade. It seemed that was all we had time for!

So here is the situation. I have a 40 min. period, Mon.-Fri., with each class. In this time I must cover grammar, writing, punctuation, and everything else connected to the writing process and 6+1 Traits. How can I work things so as to get everything in? What do you do to make things move along smoothly? How do you keep the kids on track and still move things along quickly? And what do you do with those kids that finish quickly and need other things to occupy them? How about those kids that seem to take a week just to get through the planning and drafting? All help and advice is welcomed.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2009

runs~can you break into where you do grammar on Mons, writing process on Tues, etc? And maybe have the kids write on Fridays or Thurs/Fris?

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 4, 2009

We use Lucy Calkins, which I love, though the emphasis isn't really on grammar and mechanics. However, I try to integrate it a little when I show model writing and do active engagement. As I'm modeling a technique (for example, show not tell), I write and do a think aloud to point out grammar and mechanics. I also might interrupt the class if I see a common error mid-writing. (Like when using quotes to help capture feelings, I might interrupt the writing to show how to properly use quotation marks around speech.)

Lucy Calkins is really all about a) writing during the WHOLE writing time (save for a brief - 5-10 minute - minilesson and the share), so students start new pieces and b) having the kids constantly writing and revising so that at the end of a unit, they have a variety of pieces to fix up and create one to publish.

In my first grade we write 40-50 minutes daily and do a unit a month, leading to about 8 published pieces.