help me organize please!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MuckeyBusiness, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Apr 9, 2009

So I am a second year teacher and feel very unorganized. I just moved out of my parents house in August and I live in a 3 bedroom house with 3 other girls. The house is big and our roommates have different lifestyles than my 2 other roommates. My roommate and I share a bedroom and that is pretty much where we live. Can someone please help me get my life organized in this one bedroom! PLEASE!!!!!

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 9, 2009

What do you want to know how to do?

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 9, 2009

Storeage containers.

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2009

I was wondering the same thing.

6. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Apr 10, 2009

Be nicely organized so i'm not so stressed out in not knowing where stuff is. Right now my organization contains of a 3 drawer container in my closet with work stuff and personal papers just crammed in there and the other half of my work stuff is under my bed just crammed in a container and the rest of it is downstairs in a box in the basement.... any help?

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2009

I use plastic bins (I got mine at WalMart) and keep all my "unit" items in them...example: a file folder that holds all my Mother's Day worksheets, books on Mother's Day and all manipulatives. Some of my bins hold about 3 different "units". I also purchased a larger bin for all my Christmas stuff. All my bins are kept in a corner of my bedroom. I don't like to keep this stuff at school, because I want access to it at home for preparation. Last year, I went through each bin and threw out a ton of trash...things I had been collecting just in case I would use...well; I never did use them and chunked them.
    Good luck; right now, it may be overwhelming, but once you start to organize, it will be such a blessing.

oh! watching those Organization shows on TV really help too. They offer lots of great advice and it's wonderful to see the before and after shots.

8. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Apr 10, 2009

If you have a lot of small accessories (jewelry, hair pins, small belts, etc.) you might want to look at the Joan Rivers Jewelry Organizer from QVC. It's like a garment bag that has about 50 pockets on the inside that you can sort and store small things in. It hangs up in your closet. Both my mother and my stepsister have a few and love them.

MathManTim

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2009

I forgot about that too. My daughter has one and they are great!
    I purchased one of those small-sized plastic boxes with individual compartments (they're called Bead containers and mine has 18) from the Arts & Crafts dept at Michaels (I've seen them at Hobby Lobby and WalMart too)...I keep a set of earrings in each little square. It keeps them in place and makes me do the same. :DI think I paid about $1.50 with my Michael's coupon. :D

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2009

I recently had to do the same thing - I moved BACK in with my dad and basically had to move my HOUSE into my bedroom (most of my furniture is in storage, but it's a tiny room, ok? :))

I think Kmart has an under-bed rolling organizer - really nice for sheets, towels, sweaters, etc.

I bought a ton of photo boxes from Michael's in different colors and patterns. They're cute enough to leave on display and they have a label on the outside telling me what is in each box.

Display shelves on the walls (also Michael's) can help keep a lot of clutter off of your dresser/desk. A big enough one - like from Ikea - will allow you to put all of your work papers in binders and have them on display so you always no where everything is.

A filing cabinet would help for personal papers - mine doubles as a printer stand.

And shoes (my downfall...) one of those over-the-door hangers REALLY helps keep my shoes from migrating all over the house.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2009

12. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Apr 25, 2009

How do you guys keep your work stuff organized at home? I really don't have any big stuff it's just papers... how do you organize all these papers?

13. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Apr 25, 2009

Keys to Organization

1. You need to make 3 separate piles:
    a. keep (anything that you plan to keep)

b. trash (throw away, broken, ect.)

c. donate/sell (anything to give away, or sell)

2. Remember, if it takes more than 30 sec. to decide to keep, GIVE IT AWAY!

3. Do not keep anything that you haven't used in the past year!

4. Plan a time for getting rid of anything you can't use.

5. YOU CAN'T ORGANIZE CLUTTER!

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2009

All of my work papers are in binders. My filing cabinet is for personal stuff - pay stubs, insurance, etc. Copies of emails (oh, you guys KNOW I print those puppies out and keep a copy at home!), evals, contracts, etc - I keep organized in binders so I always know where they are.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2009

I was at WalMart the other day looking for a flat-sized basket to hold my incoming snail mail. I ended up buying one of those black coated metal ones with padded feet. PERFECT!
    Now, when the mail comes in, I toss in there and when I have a minute, I go through my mail, etc...

It HAS made a difference...somehow, chunking mail on the desk versus chunking mail in a contained area looks so much better and cleaner.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 26, 2009

Do you have a walk-in closet?

I use color coded bins. I like the sort by unit idea but I'm not yet a teacher (teacher aide) so I don't have that need yet. I sort things by type. I have a craft area, game area, books/resource area, a manipultives area (by subject type). Each is stored in different color bins. I always know my games are in the Navy Blue Boxes. I have the games further sorted but the idea is I can pull one of the boxes and know it has the games in it and it is easier to find.

I also have a crate at the bottom of my closet. Occasionally I need to get things out of my way in a hurry and I put things in this crate. If it becomes full, it is time to sort it and put it away. I never let it overflow.

I have a harder time with papers but I try to keep binders with pocket dividers in them. I don't have to take the time to punch the holes or anything. I just put them in the appropriate pocket dividers. That works for me because I know I won't punch holes or file in a file drawer. Eventually I will probably need to go to the file drawer method.

I also keep 5 stacking trays on my desks. I store things in them until I'm ready to file them in the folders. Again, don't let it become so cluttered that it takes you forever to sort and file away. The key is to do this at least weekly if not more often.

I keep some of my bulletin board sets or posters on those plastic pants hangers from stores.

Other than my teacher closet, I have my beloved corner desk. Personally I would design a better desk if it wasn't so pricey. I see craft desks that would suit my purposes better but I refuse to get white laminate. Otherwise, I keep a 3 wide drawer plastic storage beside my desks to hold my regular supplies I use to make prep materials (ex: glue, scissors, construction paper, ruler, index cards, etc.). I keep extras in these drawers because they are also school supplies for my own children.

If your closet can't hold everything you want, consider a floor to ceiling shelving unit that can accommodate different storage boxes (think garage units).

It's not cheap to get started but it is such a blessing.

I also reorganize my teacher closet quarterly. This allows me to clean up any messes I made and become reacquainted with where I put my things. It takes a good afternoon to do it but it is worth it.

I stay pretty organized with supplies. My problem is forgetting dates and details. So I use checkbox lists and tape them to the bottom of my monitor. I also send email reminders (via Google Calendars) to myself to remind me. I still struggle with this.

I also have an under the bed rolling thing. I use mine for wrapping paper supplies. You could invest in those for other needs. I could see putting my games in these.

I also have bead containers for many of my arts and crafts supplies.

To get started I would get some regular cardboard boxes. I would start sorting things. Once you know what kind of things you have and what kind of sorting categories seem to work for you, you can make a list of the type of storage containers you might could use (or at least how many and how big). Go to the store and be creative and pay attention to what you are seeing. Many things can be repurposed. Consider where you would put these things.

Then come home and start putting things away. It should take you some time to do this but you can do it in smaller stages. I wouldn't put off stages for too long because then things clutter up again and you lose your enthusiasm.

Trash what you don't need.

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

If you can... go to a library (or magazine stand) and check out a magazine called "REAL SIMPLE" it's all about organizing. Usually for a lower amount of money.