Help me, I can't stop buying for my classroom!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by 4myclass, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

Oh yes, I have been teaching for 15 years and I am addicted to school stuff too. It does make your heart race!!:lol: I love to go to the Dollar Tree. They have cheap stuff and even though I don't need anything, you just have to have it. When I go shopping with my g-kids, they say is it for us or your classroom!

2. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2010

Yeah, I'm an addict too. After 27 years, I still keep getting more! I think a lot of teachers are like that!

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2010

It's like decorating our own home! :D

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 8, 2010

They were a bit more than I had expected them to be, but now that I think about it more it was totally worth it and probably not that much more than I had imagined. They were $6.99 each (mind you, I was at building 19- I totally expected cheaper if I even found anything because I was not planning on getting them now- I figured when I saw them someday!)- so $14 for the two chairs. I was thinking I could find something for like $5 each. These were made in MA so it was definitely worth it. I am super tempted to go to another Building 19 and see if I can find two more.

5. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jun 9, 2010

Oh WOW! That IS a good deal!!! They are sooo cute. I've never heard of "Building 19". Is it a chain store in the States?

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 9, 2010

Oh, yes. I did not think of that. It is a chain in New England. They buy the surplus from factories and whatnot and sell them cheaper. Sometimes they have something wrong with them or they are irregular in some shape or form. Mostly, I get my books for my classroom library there. They have great picture books and they have chart paper- that is about all I typically buy there until June when they have a local nursery set up out front and I get my plants there.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2010

I sent in my purchase order yesterday. I easily spent $200.
    I bought:
    1) these hard plastic pocket white board things.
    2) A TON of math board games
    3) 70+ dry erase markers
    4) more white board erasers
    5) and a couple of odds and ends

Working on my P.O. got me so in the mood to go to the Dollar Tree and Target. Sigh..... so it's begun.....At least I have a job all lined up for next summer. THat is rare. Usually I have been pink slipped and am out looking for a job. I much like looking for stuff to buy!!

8. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jun 9, 2010

I am always spending money on my room. I absolutely love garage sales. I go to them almost every weekend. This past week, however, we were told we had extra stimulus money that the distirct didn't spend. Each teacher got $700 dollars of stimulus money to spend on literacy centers!!! That was on top of the regular money that we always get to order basic supplies. I couldn't believe it. It was so special to buy things that were brand new or not from the dollar store! I bought almost everything from Lakeshore. It was so much fun. Dreams do come true!!!

9. elle9674

elle9674 New Member

Jun 19, 2010

Me too..I have spent over $700 in the last 60 days on Ebay-all items for my classroom...great deals though..I need help! :)

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 20, 2010

I try to stick to the Dollar Store - the one near me has a really awesome teacher section and even if I spend $10 I come away with lots of loot. :)

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

Ok-just going to put this out there. I'm uploading stuff onto Sprout every day this summer-make sure you check it out before spending huge amounts at Lakeshore or Really Good Stuff. Their prices are outrageous! And it's better than eBay because you don't have to pay separate shipping.

www.sproutclassrooms.com

12. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

Ok, I confess (to you) that I really can't stop! I teach Kindergarten and I have more books than some libraries! I love books and everytime I go "Goodwill'n" I head straight for the books! My hope is that I get a better job so I can take all my books to school. My current job does not value books (can you imagine?) so I could only bring a few.

13. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jun 23, 2010

*shoCK!* What do you mean your current job doesn't value books??!?!?

14. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jun 23, 2010

Birthday Money!

Every year I ask for "school" money for my birthday! Then I use all of that money to buy stuff for my classroom! Lots of people think I'm nuts for asking for this stuff for my birthday, but I love buying classroom stuff! I made a project on donorschoose.org and got my project funded! And I lucked out (for me, not for the store) and a teacher store was going out of business and everything was 50% off. Can't wait to go to garage sales! And I am a sucker for classroom books! Ebay is a horrible place for me! :) Unfortunately, we don't get any instructional supply money here, so I am constantly spending my own money!

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 28, 2010

I like to have my classrooom pretty well organized so all my table choices,manipulatives, and classroom/teacher supplies are sorted and stored in sterlite bins with labels on them. Because I've had to move classrooms twice in the last 2years (and looking to maybe have to do it again this year) I decided to make a simple way to tell what I paid for with my own money (and therefore can take with me). Anything I paid for with my own money or supplied myself --the label on the bin has asterisks on it--- not an obvious to everyone esle thing, but I can take a quick look and say "yep,that's mine, that's mine, that's the schools, that's mine" etc

16. kmiller215

kmiller215 Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Could you share some of your sorting/organizing ideas? I am a military spouse who I'm sure will have to move my classroom AGAIN. Not to mention, this year I am a replacement teacher so will for sure move next year. Any wonderful organizing ideas would be appreciated!
    Thanks

17. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

I wish I could buy more things for my classroom. And teaching overseas I'm not eligible for Donorschoose (and haven't found any other grants either). Still, when I find myself grumbling because the carpet scrap is at least 20 years old and the furniture looks like goodwill rejects, I think of another school my husband and I help out, whose carpet scrap is probably 50 years old and they need stuff like food and bedsheets. So I'll just shut up and quit whining. :)