Help me, I can't stop buying for my classroom!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by 4myclass, Jul 14, 2009.

1. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

I am addicted to buying things for my classroom :blush:. I have mostly bought learning stuff- manipulatives, learning games, calendar items. I have also purchased chairs for my reading center. Every time someone mentions something on this forum that they like, I have to have it! You all are killing me :whistle:.

3. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

LOLOL
    I'm right there with you! We have to pace ourselves. I'm trying to just get the things needed to start the year.

There are always more opportunities to buy more stuff as the year goes on...:)

Happy spending!

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

yep same here and yep it is killing me!

I saw a picture with someone using a plastic kid's picnic table for their writing center. I love that idea, so it got the wheels turning. My kids will come home one day and their picnic table will have vanished!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I'm right there with you. I went to Walmart today and bought 4 new floor lamps. I hate having all the overhead lights on and the cheapo lamps I purchased a couple of years ago were in bad shape so I threw them out at the end of the year. These were cheapo ones again ($10 each), but if they last a couple years they will be fine. They were in cool colors, so I got a purple one, a pink one, a lime green one, and a bright blue one.

6. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

Yea, I saw some cute frog chairs in a picture of a classroom library, and I hunted them down and bought four.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

Just say NO! LOL

8. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I'm the same way! I just purchased a bunch of pillows and bean bags for my reading center from walmart too and I have a lakeshore order on it's way! Ugh!

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

Wow! You all are on a roll.

I spent 2.97 and have 600 pencils and 4 pairs of scissors. :)

I'd love a saucer chair like in the Walmart ad. May get it this weekend

10. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

11. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

woobie5, what did you order from Lakeshore?

12. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

Just say no! It is addicting, I have had to stop because I have no room in my classroom to put these things!

13. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

14. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 14, 2009

I haven't even started and already I have bought $80 worth of mailbox magazine books. Umm...I don't need to be spending on those. I have other things to buy. I am having the opposite problem. I just can't seem to get started on what I might actually need. I am going to ask to see my classroom soon. Maybe that will job some ideas.

16. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

:lol: That is too funny that we both bought the same thing! That CCBB set is awesome! i wonder if she would customize it for me ... I don't need the whiteboard or magnetic letters ... but I suppose for that price ... it's worth it! Thanks for sharing!

17. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

I'm right there with you! I had to have these baskets from Target for my library that I saw on here. And don't get me started on going out for all the school supply deals I've read on here. :)

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

I think I've spend a total of $6 so far :D but Lemon's got me beat!

19. kinderella

kinderella Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

Ok, I got the CCBB set too! must be a hot item! So far my $ has gone towards storage bins for all my stuff that I have no space for. Stop the insanity! I need to go to shopaholics anonymous. The sight of school supplies gets my heart racing!

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 16, 2009

I haven't bought a single thing. I am broke! :(

21. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

i haven't really bought that much, well, other than my garage sale finds, books, a rocking chair, legos, an easel... ok a few things LOL

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 17, 2009

I'm doing waaaaay better with buying for my classroom this year-I just raid the Sprout inventory!! ;)

Check it out: www.sprout.ecrater.com

23. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

Yesterday, I went to the Mardel 20% off sale. I only spent $67:blush:. I bought frog stuff for my room and some plastic sleeves to put center work in, that the students use dry erase markers to do and then they can be wiped and reused.
    I am also bidding on a few books on ebay. Just a few, really :whistle:. Okay, I will not raise my bids anymore, I promise. Really!:rolleyes:

24. skerns

skerns Companion

Jul 17, 2009

spending

Ok, you guys are killing me because I usually am out spending to, but my husband has been unemployed the entire summer and I can;t spend any money right now. but I have made a list of items I want to buy is money becomes available. I want to do a camping theme and really need to purchase some nameplates and maybe a child's tent. Hmmmm. This is killing me.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

$3 spent on 'like new' books at the library...Patrons drop off books by the boxful and the library sells them cheap...25 cents each for paperbacks was too good a deal to pass up...Magic Tree House, Bailey School Kids, Encyclopedia Brown. All series my kids love. They are rattling around the back seat of my car until I can drop them off at school.
    Wow...I should have bought the whole box at that price and sold the rest online at a profit..I do have a half.com account.:rolleyes:

26. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

Last year was my 26th teaching, and I spent around $2100 on school stuff! Hazard of the profession!

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

I've cut way way back by making things. I did buy some material for the bulletin boards, the baskets at Target that were in the dollar area, some file colored file folders, and ordered some pencils that say something about writing. I'm not giving those away. They'll be in the baskets on the desks, and I want them back at the end of the period. Since we're departmentalizing, I don't want to deal with the students getting out supplies from bookbags when they come in.

That should do it. Oh, I forgot that I wanted to make some curtains-have to be sprayed, and get a desk lamp. All fire hazards, so I'm waiting to see how tough they're going to be this year.

I also have a rug ready to buy. I'm working next week and will get $250 stipend, so that will pay for the rug and reimburse what I've spent.

28. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

Okay, I got the frog chairs a couple of weeks ago, and I have been on the lookout for a rug that could work as a pond in my reading center. Well, today I found one. I went to a garage sale and low and behold, they had a bath rug that was two colors of blue and had several fish swimming on it. And the best thing was, it was only $1.00. :woot:OMG, I love garage sales. I find the best stuff at them.

29. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

:thumb: That's awesome!

30. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

Oh...I have been bad this summer! I just went to a street that was having a garage sale and one of the ladies had homeschooled and was selling some good manipulatives (Lakeshore stuff) which I bought for $5 a tub. What a deal!

31. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

You're SOOO LUCKY THAT'S AWESOME!

32. kmiller215

kmiller215 Rookie

Jun 6, 2010

More websites to buy stuff is so NOT what I needed!!!! Now I have to go check them out. I have been unemployed for the last school year due to a move, now that I have a kinder position again I'm ready to shop!! uh oh...
    btw...if you have a Ross, Marshall or TJ Max, I recommend checking there- I got some Melissa and Doug puzzles and Lakeshore store for $5 each!!!!!!

33. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 6, 2010

Since I get another 5 furlough days and no step raise next year, I'm trying my hardest not to buy...but it's so hard. I was out of a lot of Vistaprint items, so I ordered yesterday...$ 30 in shipping later, I'm stocked up but broke again!

34. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jun 6, 2010

I have this same problem and just moved grade levels...so the shopping is going to start again! AHHH!

35. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2010

I wish I could find some great deals like you all have...I can't think of a great deal that's come my way recently. :blush:

A few years ago, Target had an after July 4th sale, and I got 3 mini flags (perfect size for little hands) for 25cents a set. Now THAT was a deal!

I'm a sucker for puzzles, so I'll have to stop by TJMaxx & Marshall's and check the toy dept.

36. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jun 6, 2010

I can't say enough how much I LOVE the fact that garage sale season has started up again! Just this Saturday I came home with over 100 barely used books for under $7!!!!! Also a rocking chair for $4 for my Star of the Day, and 2 massive chests that look like identical to a pirates treasure chest! YES!!!

37. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 6, 2010

has anyone ever used free cycle as a source of classroom materials?

38. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 6, 2010

12345-I've put up about 7 'offers' on Freecycle today for teaching items (sentence strip boxes, a literature sorter, organizers, pencil boxes, a huge box of colored file folders, etc.) and have several teachers coming to get them tonight and tomorrow. It's the first place I turn when giving items away AND for when I need something!

39. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2010

Congratulations! :)

Rats! :mad: I wish we had good stuff here. LOL

40. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 7, 2010

Coming on here reading is not helpful when you are trying not to buy stuff! ugh! I was reading about a classroom library with two little frog chairs or something (and a cabin theme room with little chairs in that theme and....) and I want to do a beach theme so all I have been thinking about is beachy little kid chairs for my classroom library. So I went to building 19- actually to get flowers and a rosemary plant- when I spotted the perfect chairs for my library!

Here they are..... I love them!
    [​IMG]
    (Oh, drats! Sorry it is turned and I do not know how to flip it besides taking another picture lol)

Could not resist them! So perfect! Just what I was imagining!

41. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jun 7, 2010

Adorable! How much were they if you don't mind me asking?