HELP ME! HOmework organization

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miztdawn29, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Miztdawn29

Miztdawn29 Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

I regularly have around 25-30 kids in my class and grading, checking homework, etc is a nightmare for me. I am naturally disorganized and really need help on how to better manage collecting and retrieving work. Any ideas on filing systems, baskets, etc that would help me keep the student work clutter in control???:eek:

3. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

I guess it depends on what class you teach. I am math and I am going to leave grading up to them and just go for a completion grade. If I were English or other paper writing classes I would definitely look into a digital drop box.

4. Miztdawn29

Miztdawn29 Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

Its elementary, so all subjects :)
    The students do not have access to working computers other than my laptop, so digital solutions don't really work for me, but thank you!

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2010

I use stacking paper trays. I have one labeled for each subject. In the morning I have one student whose job is to check in homework--she calls over students in order and marks it off on a clipboard as they put it in the baskets. Then, she paper clips each stack together for me. I can then grab each stack and flip through them or put them in my "to-be-graded" file folder. I keep the stack paper-clipped together; then I can easily tell if someone's is missing.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

As soon as the students turn in an assignment, immediately gather the papers, organize them neatly, and staple the stack together. This does 2 things: first, it leaves no room for a student to claim "but I handed it in!". Not in this stack you didn't. Second, it keeps you from losing papers (maybe they did hand it in!). I use black stacking bins, one for each subject, also.

And, I check as much as I can in class by walking around and observing papers, giving completion grades, checking in class occasionally, and doing credit/no credit. Life savers!