Help me get psyched for back to school...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 18, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

I can't get into it. I have one week to change my brain. Help me please...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

:hugs:Is it because you have loved your summer and you're always a little sad to see it end, or is there another reason that you don't want to go back?
    Either way, I'm sending you :hugs: and best wishes for a good back to school.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 18, 2013

Maybe take some time to list all the things about teaching that you enjoy.

For me, I'm grateful to be employed in this VERY hard market... I honestly never thought it would be so hard to get a job so when I read about all of them here, it's quite disheartening.

But just list all the joys you get in the classroom, shaping the minds of your students... and I bet the excitement will come back.

Or search Pinterest and look for inspiration there. Or share funny stories of what your former students have said. (Share them here with us. :) )

5. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

It's because I've enjoyed my summer so much. Sleeping in. Just can't get my head in the back to school mode. Working on it. I started reading Tools for Teaching today and that is helping. It's a process, I guess.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

This. I am CONSTANTLY reminding myself that I am grateful to have a job. Truth be told, I have to be in the right frame of mind for this mantra to work, but thinking about being homeless and hungry is a great motivator.:)

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 19, 2013

sending you positive vibes: I was so happy to see my students, and surprise-surprise, they were happy to see me, too! That alone is enough to get up every morning and go to work.

We had a back to school fun event during the last period Friday (schoolwide) and the theme was empathy. At one point the MC said 'if you have a favorite teacher, go shake their hands' I got 'attacked' by 3 girls by running to me and hugging me so tightly, followed by guys joining in the hug. That made my weekend very sweet.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 19, 2013

No vacation can ever be too long for me, but when that first day of work arrives, I just am automatically ready & into it somehow. My mind's like an on/off switch from summer to work. I enjoy my summer vacation up until the last minute for sure! The night before my first day back, I don't go to sleep early...probably 11pm, so I definitely don't get back into any sleep routine a week or more ahead of time. For many years, the day before my first day back, I've been going to the hairstylist to get my hair ready. It's a little pampering thing I prefer to not have to worry about myself.

10. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

I feel the same way! I've had such a wonderful summer. In the beginning of the summer, I taught in this amazing summer camp and then I did summer school. So even though I was working, it was less work than I would have at school. :( I usually find that after the second day I'm back into school-mode though.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

heavens- do a little school thinking every day and then go do some last bit of summer fun!

12. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 19, 2013

I appreciate my time off so much more when I'm working. It feels deserved and is something to look forward to. You could start planning little weekend trips or events that will be something for you to look forward to during the school year. :)

13. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 19, 2013

I'm in the same boat! I've been home for 4 months with my baby and I am NOT in school mode! I've been starting to think about the small things I'm looking forward to, like working with my new teaching partner! Otherwise I'd feel crummier thinking of all the small things I'm NOT looking forward to (let's just say it's going to be a BUSY inservice week!).

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 19, 2013

Honestly, I'm never ready to go back, but once it happens, it's not such a big deal. It's not that I don't love what I do, but having time away is really the best gift possible.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2013

I was that way this year too. Usually, it's that I'm not ready for summer. This year, I just wasn't feeling it. I know it was partly because I ended the year sick and I'm still not feeling the greatest. It really helped when the kids came back! Sometimes I really need their excitement to light the fire in me! They did that for me this year!!

16. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 19, 2013

I didn't want my summer to end, either, and wasn't ready to go back when I started on August 5. It's gone better than expected and I enjoyed these first few weeks. I hope it will be the same for you.

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2013

I'm getting into it slowly. I've been working in my room the last two days. It's coming along. We've had some personel changes for this year and I think that's been holding me back. We are planning some new projects for this coming year, so it's piquing my interest.

AND, my husband bought me a mini Ipad today to add a little spark in my life. How awesome is that?

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

I'm having the same problem. We are moving into a new school and it's not ready yet, so it's filling me (and all of us) with some trepidation...or panic. One or the other. ;) I can't get into my room yet and my tiny apartment's dining room is full of boxes. I think the uncertainty of whether the building will be ready in time is really making it hard for me, coupled with the fact that it is SO HARD to get out of summer mode! I'm just so relaxed lately and when I think of all the things I do in one day while I'm working...ACK! I think - can I really do all that in a day? LOL. We start inservice next Monday. My husband and I are renewing (and upgrading!) our Disneyland passes on Saturday, so we plan to spend the ENTIRE day there. I'm hoping that last summer happiness puts me in a better frame of mind to start off the year. There will be a lot of other Saturday Disney trips, which is something to look forward to...

The thing that keeps me going is that I am REALLY excited to meet my new kiddos, and to see last year's kids. I know (I hope?) once I'm in the groove it'll be fine.

heavens - glad things are going better for you, especially with the iPad!! We're hoping to buy ourselves one of those for Christmas this year...:)