Help me get organized!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by becky, Jul 6, 2008.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

I have several years' worth of Mailbox magazine, and Teacher's Bookbag. I need to get these organized some way, because once again I've missed great ideas that would have helped a lot. How do those of you who get these magazine organize them to keep them handy?

3. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I too would like to organize The Mailbox and Teacher's Helper magazines. I was trying to figure out where to start....

4. Sylbyl

Sylbyl Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

Binders & Sheet Protectors

Take a couple hours one weekend and neatly cut out the pages with ideas and those with reproducibles you like. Sort them first by subject and then slip them into the plastic sheet protector sleeves. Label the outside of the binder by subject. EX. Math, Science, Classroom Mgt. etc. If you have enough you could have the binders in Math:addition, subtraction, sorting, etc. Science: Plants, Animals, Magnets, etc. I hope this helps.

5. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 6, 2008

I agree with Sylbyl. I have file folders according to the months and I rip out interesting things out of the magazines and put them the corresponding folders. Ex: a winter craft would go in my December folder

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

Oh, that sounds like a job and a half, lol! It does sound like the best plan, though.

I also have several books of file folder games. How would you handle those?

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 6, 2008

I started to organize them as well. I went through and ripped the entire magazine apart and put the pages in folders based on theme/subject/etc. The bad thing is that they have good ideas on both sides that don't always go together. My remedy to this was to go to the copy room to tear them all apart and then I could copy the stuff that I needed to. It was a huge task and I only made it through three or four of them before school was out. I plan on doing that in August again. I can see my August being an entire month of organization!

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

I would just find a shelf for them and organize them by chronological order

Then I would go through on my spare time and make up a database on my computer of the various types of activities in each magazine (maybe do a magazine or two at a time) it may take a while, but it's spread out over time, and it's not as overwhelming as cutting up and sorting.

Then when it comes time in January to start on multiplication (for example) just go to your database, see which magazines have ideas related to multiplication, and pull it out and take a look.

9. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I started out doing what earlier people have said about tearing out pages and cataloging them...and I quickly stopped because it took TOO MUCH time!

Now, I just place mine in chronological order and on the front flap of the mag I write a brief description of the ideas that are inside that I like. This way, I can just look at the front flap and be reminded of what was really good inside that mag instead of having to flip through.

10. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

I write the issue of the Mailbox, page number and tiny description/title on the file folder that correxponds (if I find a cute project, etc. to go with frogs, I put that on my amphibian folder).

I also write websites there. So convenient for me.

11. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 6, 2008

Mailbox Magazines

I just keep mine in a file cabinet, and have a list next to my computer of the issues I have. If you are still a subscriber, mailbox features an online search through past issues. After you have logged in, it is on the left hand side of the screen and says Search Our Index. I have used this a lot. When looking for something, example perimeter I print out the list it gives me for all the issues containing perimeter ideas. I highlight the magazines I have (this is where the list next to the computer comes in handy) and file it in my file cabinet under my geometry file. You can search by different fields as well. It came in very handy! :)

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

I did this, too, at first, but I'd still forget to go back and look for the activities. See, I have this binder of what I call 'helps'. It has learning games, tips, and different things I printed out that would help with the different subjects. My plan was to try and have the Mailbox ideas more cl;ose at hand, so I wouldn't forget them.

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 6, 2008

I would probably put all the January ones together, February, etc. so that way each month you can glance though them.

I have two years of Teacher's Helper and I want to rip them out and file them. I don't know when I'll ever do that though. :(

14. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I did the rip and file. However, I strongly suggest you have a copy of your GLE's or teaching standards next to you when you do. I had a lovely folder full of solar system ideas and plans (from when I was student teaching/college). I emptied it this year as solar system is not taught at my grade level.

I do everything with file folders. Each subject has a color (for example, math is red...science is green). Each folder is labeled with the GLE (inferencing, ecosystems, 2-D geometry) and I just drop in the reproducibles that fit.

This way-I'm not keeping things I don't teach and when I do get ready I can just pull the entire folder.

15. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

I just put the resource I might use in the appropriate file folder or section of my binder if it's something I know I'll use. If not, then I just have magazine sorter that I put the issues in and I look to from time to time.

16. gbic

gbic New Member

Jul 6, 2008

organizing teacher magazines

You could get some of the $1 magazine organizers at Target and label them by the year. Then put each year's magazine in them. Then, make a copy of the table of contents of each magazine and put them in page protectors in a pocket folder or some other folder. Then all you would need to access that folder to see the contents of all the others in the organizer without having to look through them all. Then later, if you felt so inclined, you could look through the folder and organize by topic so that you would know exactly which magazine you might want. Just an idea. Organizing itself is such a pain, but oh the reward laterol: Best wishes.:cool:

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

I am a ripper! I tear out what I want and file them away! This way when it comes time for say addition, any cute activites/worksheetes that I have from mailbox are in the folder. Sometimes the pile gets big, but I tend to get it done! I don't know where I would keep 6 years worth Mailbox issues!!
    Also, I don't like to hold on to what I don't want/need/like....so what does not get ripped out, gets put in recycle!