Help me figure it out!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by IrishDMBF, May 23, 2013.

1. IrishDMBF

IrishDMBF Rookie

May 23, 2013

I am a long time lurker first time poster and have thoroughly appreciated advice that I have seen here. A little bit of background about me. I grew up in an English speaking foreign country and came to the US to go to grad school in the sciences. After graduating with a Ph.D I did research for a few years but found it unfulfilling. I thought that I wanted to teach college but found while teaching that the college students were scared of the sciences and I realized my calling was to teach science at the high school level to give kids a passion for science and to take the mystery out of it. I got certified through an advanced degree method but I also took education classes because I realized that college and high school are 2 different places with different lingo. Over the past year I have had 2 long term sub gigs where I have learned so much and have also got good references.

I have applied to a bunch of positions mainly in 3 midwest states. I have had 4 interviews. In my most recent interview this past tuesday in a pretty rural midwest high school close to where I live, I thought I had a really good interview and they said they would let me know yesterday or today and I have heard nothing:(

I am extremely frustrated and wish I could get some feedback. Am I saying something wrong in the interview?? or is it just that as a first year teacher I may be too expensive given that I would be in most school districts Masters+30 or doctorate part of the pay scale and they probably figure I would ask for a few steps up on the pay scale??? But at this point I just want a job. I have invested a lot of time to become a good teacher and I know that I can do it. Also could it be my background being that I grew up in a foreign country with a different education system and I now live in a pretty rural area of the midwest???

Any advice would be appreciated as to where to go from here.

3. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 23, 2013

It might be because you cost too much or because you don't have enough experience teaching high school. You may have college teaching experience but they are a whole different breed. Have you tried private schools? They tend to hire people with a higher degree than just a Bachelor's and don't care as much if you have teaching experience or not. I would focus on schools that care more about content knowledge, which unfortunately a lot of public schools don't care as much about as they tend to care more about pedagogy.

4. IrishDMBF

IrishDMBF Rookie

May 23, 2013

Thanks for the help.
    I have taken education classes for the pedagogy aspect. I have tried private schools but haven't had any luck there either. I keep plugging away. Where I live there aren't many private schools.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2013

Are you willing to relocate?

6. IrishDMBF

IrishDMBF Rookie

May 23, 2013

Within reason. My spouses job is currently better paid than I would ever be. If I were to relocate it would have to be somewhere where they would have prospects. Not everywhere would.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 23, 2013

Which states are you looking in? This can definitely be a factor because some have tougher job markets than others.

8. IrishDMBF

IrishDMBF Rookie

May 23, 2013

Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 23, 2013

Well, of the three, Kentucky is by far the easiest market. However, I'm guessing they will be the least likely to pay for all of your education, so that could be a problem. Ohio is the toughest of the three states.

Have your 4 interviews all been this year? If so, that is not a terrible number- it is only May. You may want to check with catfiddle. She works for an online charter in Ohio. They usually hire quite a bit because they are always expanding. We also have a regular from Kentucky. Most of our Indiana people aren't as regular as they used to be.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 24, 2013

While we're on the topic of being too expensive to hire, this makes me wonder something. Although you have a PhD, which most teachers don't have, if a prospective employee doesn't want or care about the higher pay according to their degree(s), can school districts start them out lower on the pay scale IF THAT'S THE DESIRE OF THE APPLICANT or do all districts HAVE to pay the person according to their degree(s)?

(Anyone can answer this.)

I have a bit of a concern with this issue too since I'm working on a 2nd Masters degree, but fortunately, the 2nd MAsters I'm working on is in a high in-demand field, so me having 2 grad degrees don't matter as much.

11. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 24, 2013

I don't have an answer for you, BUT I've also been wondering the same question. I want a PhD simply because I want it, not because I want more pay. But am afraid of even looking into because I don't want it to be a detriment for future applications. I guess I could always leave it off my resume...but that would be not being totally honest. Sad that you would have to leave a GOOD thing off your resume. Like, gotta hide my advanced education...that seems crazy to me!

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

May 24, 2013

It depends on the teachers' contract.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 24, 2013

Yeah, it's a shame that people have to do that kind of thing these days...leaving off degrees...something we worked incredibly hard for.

I agree that it's not as simple as just leaving it off the resume. The truth will be found out anyway when the future employer does a background check. Then, the person probably won't get the job because it's considered lying, so then the employer figures what else is the applicant lying about.

our state's Board of Education or our state of teacher credentialing who would know the answer to the question of whether we can have lower pay that doesn't go with our degree?

14. IrishDMBF

IrishDMBF Rookie

May 28, 2013

OP here.
    Well I officially got the thanks but no thanks from last weeks interview. It actually made me feel a little better. They said it was nothing that I did but just the candidate who got the job had more things on their license that could help the school out.
    I actually think they had someone in mind all along and I was surprised to get an interview. The original ad said they wanted someone to teach biology and PE. Those that I asked said they never heard of anyone who has those 2 endorsements on the same license.
    I will just keep trying.