Help me decide

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, Mar 9, 2008.

?

Stay or go?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2008.
  1. Stay where you are

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Look for a new job

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

Please vote and help me decide what to do. I keep going back and forth and maybe some sound judgement will help :)

I am a 1st year 5th grade teacher in North Carolina, so the job market is fairly good.

Here is some background information:

Reasons I want to stay/things I like:
    ~I have FANTASTIC administration!
    ~I am comfortable and don't really want to learn a whole new system/routines right away.

Reasons I want to leave:
    ~I do not have a good relationship with my mentor and the other teacher on my grade level (they are very gossipy and highschoolish and it drives me nuts!)
    ~I drive 38 miles each way (I work in a rural school and am not a rural person!)
    ~My building has a bad rodent problem (however, I haven't seen anything in a few months)
    ~I have lunch, recess and after school duties. I have three 45-minute planning sessions, two of which are taken up by trainings at least 75% of the time.
    ~My building is pretty rundown. Carpet is severely stained, coming up and I trip on it, paint peeling off the cupboard, blinds that do not close, windows that do not open.

I guess my biggest problem with leaving is my lack of confidence. I had a bad student teaching experience, I subbed for two years before getting a job, etc... So, I feel that if I leave the school where I have supportive administration, I will drown. That maybe someone else wouldn't be as patient with me.

My other issue is loyalty. I feel I owe it to my principal to stay. She hired me, she's helped me all year and I feel I'd be a horrible person if I left.

I also feel like I am being snobbish. My reasons for wanting to leave are pretty immature to me. So, I feel that I need to suck it up and deal with it.

Now, a few arguements for leaving: The job market is good. I live in one (two really) of the best school districts in the state, definitely with in the Charlotte area. The town is split into two districts and BOTH are VERY desirable. One is opening a new school in the fall and the other has expanded several schools by 10-25 class rooms each. So, there should be many jobs open. Plus, these schools have more resources than my school has (technology wise among other things).

So, what would YOU do in my situation? As I said, I go back and forth. Honestly, if it weren't for my principal, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Well, I appreciate any opinions!!

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 9, 2008

You have a job--- you have some support, ya your mentor sucks but at least teachers have plenty of resources now-a-days that you don't just have to rely on your mentor, and you seem to have a supportive principal which can be a HUGE help.

I'd say stay--- you can duct tape the rug down where it's coming up, you can either pull down or pull up and leave the blinds like that, and you can find a bulletin board or white board to use for notes or student's work to put over the peeling paint.

I wouldn't dare leave your job until you secure a new one. And I'm sure you still have plenty to learn in this setting---every lesson is important to teaching.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

STAY

If nothing else, you have a supportive administation which is priceless.

Give it another good year then see if you feel the same way.

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

Before I answer, is seniority within your district a big deal where you are? I'm only asking because here, where the job market is tough, seniority is a big deal, and people often try not to move from district to district unless absolutely necessary.

So, I would say if seniority IS a big deal and you want to get some years with the district as soon as possible, then I would switch districts so that you know you are in a district that you love and will love for a while, otherwise you might be asking yourself every year if you should leave. (And you've given up a chance to start building seniority in a district you love.) I wouldn't leave your job before you found a new job though, although if the job market is good there it doesn't sound extremely hard...

If seniority isn't a big deal, then I would maybe stick it out one more year and see how you feel at the end of next year. Amazing administration is definitely something to stick around for; my school has gone through 3 principals in 3 years (I've only been there the last two) and I've seen the effects of not-so-amazing administration.

Good luck deciding!

6. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 9, 2008

You'll find gossipy colleagues everywhere you go. Just keep rising above it and be happy to have a job where you are well-supported! :)

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

I don't what to say the pros and cons seem pretty even both ways; I think I would lean towards leaving if you could find something else where the administration seems good. Is there any way that you can stay in the same school, but change grade levels, so you don't have to deal with your grade-level team as much? Maybe that could make things a little better for you.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2008

It sounds like you have a pretty good chance of getting a job closer to where you live. I would at least look, apply within those desirable districts closer to you, and see if you get an offer. If you do, then you can tell your principal. I understand the loyalty and the self confidence issues. You have to see if those outweight the distance you're driving, the conditions you're working in, and the cattiness of your coworkers.

Good luck with what you decide!

9. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

I say move on and find something closer to home.