Help me create a Christmas lesson plan...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrs_sarahscott, Nov 24, 2012.

1. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Nov 24, 2012

Help me create a "Room for a Little One" lesson plan...

I teach pre-k in a Catholic school, and I'm trying to put together activities relating to the sweetest book, "Room for a Little One". In a gist, animals cuddle together, one-by-one, in a stable saying, "there's always room for a little one here". Eventually, at the end, the little one is born (Jesus). So, it's a secular Christmas story, a sequencing of biggest to smallest story, and an animal/stable story.

[​IMG]

I need help organizing my thoughts. Once dismissed from circle (where the book will be read), I was hoping for 3 seperate activities; math, science and art.

A counting activity would be most obvious for math. Can you guys help me and suggest anything? What would you do for art (that doesn't include coloring worksheets)?

:) Sarah

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2012

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 24, 2012

Well, I would say that one of the dramatic play centers would need to be a Nativity set that was ok for the children to play with. This story would be great for them to act out with the small figures. Just make sure there are the animals that you need from the story. A lot of sequence and order from the story can be overheard in an area like this. If that wasn't possible, I would say a flannel board of the Nativity plus the added animals.

For science I have run a Mommy/baby pairing lesson when the children are interested in the stable part of the Nativity story. I have run regional food lessons for when the children are interested in the different scenery around the stories of the Nativity and Old Testament. I have run Changing seasons/winter lesson when the children are interested in the time of the calendar at Christmas. At this point in the calendar though...I have to be honest I would be making Advent wreaths in the art or math centers.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 24, 2012

In art it would be cute to have them draw their family with the line from the book at the top "There's always room for a little one here" and maybe a cut out or a stamp of baby Jesus in the manger to add to it.

If your class doesn't have a nativity, there is an adorable Little People set and it will fit with any little people animals you already have: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2327358

6. melnm

melnm Companion

Dec 2, 2012

Did you decide what you are going to do for activities to go with the book? I have the same book and am planning to read it to my classes. I have a nativity for them to play with, but haven't decided on my activities. We'll probably be reading it next week.

7. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Dec 12, 2012

I'm sorry I never checked this again! Thanks so much for everyone's help and ideas.

I wound up buying the Little People Nativity set since it was so much fun and can be used each year. In addition, I had a math activity where children were given number cards and asked to place the correct number of barn animals on the cards (pictured below -- I'm insane about documenting or taking photos of everything we do). The art activity I found on pinterest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:) Sarah

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2012