Help me come up with a lesson

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by MissFrizzle, Oct 29, 2008.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2008

for 5 children( 2 non verbal) 1 ED/ MR, and 2 MR . I'm doing a whole group lesson. I want to do something hands on, physical. Most cannot write their names.

About 1/2 hour lesson needed. Thinking Thanksgiving since it will be November.

3. Dthig65

Dthig65 Rookie

Oct 29, 2008

Miss Frizzle, a former student teacher of mine did a really cute Thanksgiving craft activity with my class. You can make it a "following directions" activity by making step by step instructions using picture symbols. We made candle holders using dried beans/corn. TOO CUTE and age appropriate for elementary or middle schoolers.
    You need: plastic cups, various colored dried beans & corn, glue and candles
    1. pour beans into cups
    2. stir in plenty of glue
    3. insert a tapered candle
    4. let dry at least overnight
    5. peel away the cup.............voila!
    I wish a had a picture!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2008

That's cute....

5. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Have you made food with them yet? I think food lessons are always good since they need to learn how to make stuff for themselves. The other day we did funny faces with a frozen pancake, which we microwaved, then used fruit pieces to make the faces. They were cute and the kids all liked them.

6. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Can they string beads on pipe cleaner or twine I have a neat Thanksgiving story that as you tell it, you add a certain color of bead for that moment in the pilgrims voyage. If you want this or think they can do this I can attach the story, I have to find it first though. :)

You could also get information on the first Thanksgiving and talk about what food was actually served and get examples of it, like acorns and gourds and you could make pumpkin dip for them, or better yet Corn was a main staple of their diet after talking about all that food, you can do what I did last year and we had a corn taste test. We tasted popcorn, candy corn,regular corn, creamed corn and corn bread and then we voted on what we liked, you can use switches or sign to vote and then you can use candy corn to graph as a class how many liked which corn. They loved that and it took about 20 minutes to do the taste test. I had HS non verbal low functioning kids last year so I bet this would work.

7. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

The first idea I had was bag bread. Its great for hands-on and all of them can get involved with it. Tying this in with books, bread tasting, coloring pages, can make a great well-rounded lesson.

If you're interested in the recipe just PM :)

8. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 30, 2008

Oh yeah Teacher MJ, You can make ice cream that way too. You have 2 zip locks--the inner one has the ice cream mix in it, and the outer one has ice cubes and rock salt and they just squish it around.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2008

Teacher MJ and Giggles I love your ideas! I want to avoid food for now, because one child has diabetes. If it were my class, I would certainly do food activiites with things he could subst i tute.

I like the stinging bead idea.... tell me more.

10. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 2, 2008

I do not have the name of the book I use to read to the class but I have couple of different books that I have received from Scholastic that I use that talks about the Pilgrims long journey and their time over here. I know my library has several book also and I used a bunch of different books that week to read from for the story, so the class got a good understanding about the first Thanksgiving after each story each day I had an activity to reinforce what we learned about. Here is a great Thanksgiving booklet to do after your first day of lessons http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/Pilgrim_Pilgrim_Printable_Booklet.PDF If that is too high, You can do other activities or just talk about it. On Friday, which is our last day before Thanksgiving, as we get the next week off, I do this bracelet retelling of the story:
    Use these colored beads to retell the story of the first Thanksgiving.
    First brown bead represents the Pilgrims leaving England for religious freedom
    Next white bead represents the sails on the Mayflower
    3 blue beads for the long trip over the ocean
    1 green for when they spy land
    3 white (or clear glitter) for the snow during the long winter
    1 green for the arrival of spring
    1 tan for the Native Americans who helped the Pilgrims
    4 beads for the foods served at the first Thanksgiving
    1 red for cranberries,
    1 yellow for corn
    1 brown for turkey
    1 orange for pumpkins.

The kids love stringing them and showing them off during the day and I encourage people to ask them what it means, I am happy if they can remember even one bead, but most can remember 3 or 6 beads meanings.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2008

That's so cute and creative.... I love the bead idea.