Help me choose a name for my baby that has least risk of being made fun in school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by viraljain, Jul 18, 2011.

1. viraljain

viraljain New Member

Jul 18, 2011

Hi all,

My wife is 33 weeks and we are from India. We will be having a baby girl in September and are struggling with choosing a name. Primarily, the problem lies in the fact that we are trying to choose an Indian name that won't be made fun of by other kids in school. We are hearing different and varied opinions on the names we have chosen and that's when I thought maybe you guys are the best people to talk to. You see students very closely from their childhood to their youth and therefore I am seeking help from you. I just want to ensure that we don't make a bad decision for our baby who then has to live with the name all her life.

I hope that this thread does not break any forum rules. :)

The names that we have come up with are below:

1. Prisha (pronounced as Trisha with a P)
    2. Anushka (pronounced Ah-noo-sh-kah)
    3. Anusha (Pronounced as Ah-noo-sh-ah)
    4. Karina

Our family last name is Jain. So my baby will have one of the above as her first name and then my name (Viral) as her middle name and Jain as her last name.

Please let me know what you guys think is the best (safest) name to choose in terms of ease of pronounciation and least chance of being made fun of by kids in elementary and maybe even in secondary school.

Seeking help from teachers teaching in United States. Also in your reply - please mention what grade you teach.

Thanks much in advance!

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

I really love the name Karina. It's very pretty!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Hmmm, well, I have had many students from India over the past few years. Some of them had "american" names one girl I had had a very beautiful Indian name. In my humble opinion, I would pick a beautiful name that means something special to you and to your wife. I understand your concern on kids making fun. Believe me, kids will find anything to make fun of, if they want. What's more important is that you raise a strong, wonderful, healthy kid. And, in my opinion, exotic names are much more interesting than your normal names you hear on a day to day basis. :D

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

I say you choose the name you like best. Each of those names is beautiful and lyrical-- none come close to any American words that would invite a problem.

My daughter has a friend named Anushka. And I think my son had a classmate named Prisha as well. Neither has had any sort of a problem.

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011

Karina sounds good. I do prefer traditional names though.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

I've always loved Anushka. All three of my nephews have traditional Indian names, and none of them have been teased. None of my friends with traditional Indian names have been teased. I wouldn't worry about it much.

I have taught both elementary and preschool.

8. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

They are all beautiful, but I am drawn toward Karina. I've taught multiple students with Indian names, and I've never heard of any teasing. At least she'll stand out from all the Sophias, Avas, and Bellas in her class :)

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 18, 2011

I has several Indian students when I did my student teaching many, many years ago. All of them had very traditional Indian names, and it was never an issue.

More recently I had two Iranian siblings. They also had traditional names. Other than some issues with correcting pronunciations, but never any teasing due to the names.

I had a student named Aja, which she pronounced the same as "Asia". Sometimes she spelled it as Asia as well because people mispronounced it when she spelled it Aja.

I have a very old-fashioned traditional American name, and I was teased some for having an "old" name.

10. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

All the names you suggested are really pretty.
    I have also had students with the names
    Bhargavi (pronounced bar-ga-v)
    Anoushae (pronounced a-new-shay) similar to one you have listed!

Congrats on the upcoming baby!! :)

11. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

I love all of those names. I agree with others here and you need to pick a name that means something to you and your wife.
    I have also had students with Indian names some had "American" names because the parents thought it was easier to say. Others used their given names.

12. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

I love the name Karina!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Karina is a pretty name, but I think any of the four would be good. Congratualtions on your new family addition!

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 18, 2011

I really like the name Karina :love:

I teach 2nd grade.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

All the names you are considering are lovely. Best wishes to you.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

Hi! Karina sounds like an American name, so if you are looking for a name in both cultures, that would work.

My area is culturally diverse and I know many people from India. My students names:
    Reva (ray-va)
    Kaahini (ka-hee-nee)
    Maya (half Indian, may not be an Indian name?)
    Lakshmi (Lock-shmee)
    Mahati (Ma-ha-tee)
    Vashuda (Va-soo-da)

Beautiful girls. Congratulations :)

ETA: Jain sounds like a Verrry common American name Jane. It was often combined in a two-name first-name (Betty Jane, Donna Jane, ...). And, I know you know that viral is a word in English.

17. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

I love all the names. Anushka and Karina are my favorites, though. I have had students named Karina and they had no problems at all.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

I would also like to point out that I'm very jealous that you get to name a girl. My sister only ever got to name boys, but she had some beautiful girl names chosen. They are Bengali, so they had chosen Priya for if they ever had a girl. My nephews have cousins named Maya and Avani, and they are beautiful, intelligent, popular girls. My nephews names are Sthir, Pranab, and Surya. I only worry about the last name because it's so hard to pronounce. They all have American middle names, so maybe he will choose to go by it.

One of my dear friends from high school was named Viral, and it was never an issue.

19. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Jul 18, 2011

20. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 18, 2011

Karina is my pick. I teach 6th grade.

21. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Jul 18, 2011

Oh, I really like Prisha.

I had a Sanket and Saloni in my 3rd grade. I also taught with a Shalini. I don't recall any of our students making fun of any of the names.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

I love all of the names you have listed; we've had students in my school with all of these names. I agree that you should choose something meaningful to you and your wife.

Congratulations!

23. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 18, 2011

I think they are all beautiful and none of them are terribly difficult or means anything/sounds like anything bad. Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

24. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

Congrats on the baby girl! I'm a teacher on the prek/k level and children are very open to diversity and different cultures. I have never known a child to be teased because of their name.

I think all of the names are very pretty. I particularly like Anushka and Karina

25. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 18, 2011

I think they are all lovely names! I especially like the ring of Anushka Viral Jain. You need to find a name though that is right for your family. :D

26. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

Take it from me, there will be at least one person who will find a way to mess up the pronunciation no matter what name you pick.

Anyway, I love Karina but I like the other two names as well!

27. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

I think any name will be fine, but I like Prisha best!

28. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

I think it's wonderful that you're thinking so carefully about your daughter's name and its possible effects on her childhood. I recommend selecting a name that is easy to pronounce on paper. I grew up with a Korean name that has been butchered so many times over the years that I began to dread the first day of school because of roll call. I mean it's pretty bad when even the teacher is laughing at your name. The first thing I did when I was 18 was legally change my name.

29. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 18, 2011

I think it's nice that you're being so thoughtful about your child's name. I like all of the names listed and you need to choose which name you like best.

I do have to say... In my experience, I have never heard of anyone being made fun of for having a name from a different culture. Most of the names that get made fun of are English names that have come to mean other things.

30. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011

All of your name choices are really pretty ones and I think you should go with who she looks like to you when she's born. Until you see her and hold her, how can you know what her name should be? It will come to you naturally when you meet her face to face. And I have students from all over the world with beautiful names and I'm so glad! How boring life would be if we w ere all identical and afraid of being ourselves. Best wishes to you!

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 18, 2011

People will butcher names regardless of what you pick. My name is Mary, the most common English name ever, and it still gets messed up on a fairly regular basis.

Go with the name that you like the best and don't worry about the rest.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2011

time out, by the time I was in seventh grade I got philosophical about having weird names: I was nearly always responsible for the looooong pause in the roll call on the first day of school, and I finally just got to where I'd volunteer the pronunciation to save the teacher another two minutes of trying to puzzle it out.

Trust me, these names are fine.

33. viraljain

viraljain New Member

Jul 20, 2011

Thanks

Thanks for your responses!!!! :)

Your responses have helped us a lot.....and I and my wife are better equipped and worry-free now to choose a name. :)

Thanks to each one of you!!!

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 20, 2011

My advice is to choose a name you love. I think all of these names are beautiful, but my personal favorites are Karina and Anusha. They sound the most musical. Most children are not concerned with unusual names at a young age since there is a great amount of diversity in the American public schools. Using a person's name as a source of taunting doesn't generally begin until about grade 3 or 4 in my experience. However, those doing the taunting are out to hurt another's feelings, and ANY name can be used for this purpose. If the taunter does not use the name, he or she will find something else to make fun of. The most important thing you as a parent need to be aware of is that ultimately there is not foolproof way to avoid the issue. You will need to help your daughter learn to be proud of her heritage and her name while at the same time teaching her how to deal with the unkindnesses of others.

35. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 20, 2011

I also think you should pick the one you like best. I persoanlly like Anusha.

36. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2011

Given the melting pot that the US population is due to all the immigration in the late 19th and early 20th century I wouldn't hve thought any name would sound out of place. When I visit US schools in Chicago I often have difficulty saying many of the kids names given the large numbers of Hispanic, European and Asiatic extraction students in classes.