Help me be a better teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MuckeyBusiness, Feb 28, 2014.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Feb 28, 2014

So I just recently got a new assistant teacher in my room with me and I love her to death! We're such a good team together and she rocks! I tend to be a little flighty during the day and i leave the classroom a lot. Sometimes no matter how hard i try to stay in the room i'm in and out a lot during the day. Does anyone have any suggestions with how I could work on this and be in the room without having to leave all the time. I know it's a problem and I want to work on it so she doesn't get frustrated

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 28, 2014

What do you mean "have" to leave? What are you doing when you leave?

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 28, 2014

Instead of leaving the room, don't leave, instead? I'm not sure exactly what you're asking?

If it's a matter of running to get something, just make do without it. You work with 4 year olds. I doubt there are very many times where you have legitimately forgotten to bring something in that is so worthwhile that leaving the kids with an aide to get it is the best solution.

5. bora

bora Rookie

Feb 28, 2014

You leave the T.A all by herself most of the time? Is she OK with it? Do you enjoy teaching?

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 28, 2014

Send your assistant to get things you absolutely need, otherwise improve your planning and organization so you have what you need. As the teacher, your students need you in the room teaching - your assistant was hired as classroom support.

7. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Feb 28, 2014

Practice mindfulness... focus on really grounding yourself in the moment, with the children. Pay attention to little details, really build relationships with your students, get involved in complex projects with them, take detailed notes about what you observe them saying and doing.

8. msaly

msaly Comrade

Feb 28, 2014

I'm not sure why you need to leave the room so much? What did you do before you had an assistant?
    Get the things you need before class starts. If you forget something you absolutely need send your assistant out to get it.

9. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Feb 28, 2014

What exactly are you doing when you leave the room? Knowing this would probably help everyone to give you more helpful responses.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2014

Great ideas.

I am not sure how you can leave and stay in ratio, or why you leave. I think if we knew more, we could give better advise.

Are you bored, frustrated, unorganized, ?

I have worked with another teacher like this and, yes, it is super frustrating to feel abandoned.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 15, 2014

Oh my. Leaving the classroom is a big no no. Staff/child ratio is the first consideration.

You should have a Director or Assistant Director to assist you in out of the classroom needs.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2015

This is a great answer.