HELP! Main idea/details

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jeljohns, Nov 7, 2011.

1. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

Nov 7, 2011

I'm trying to teach my second grade ELL students main idea/details. They have to take a state standards test on it. I made a poster with a very simple story about my dog using pictures. We went through their guided reading book at their level (reading at a level D/E). I felt like I was drowning the whole lesson. Blank stares...confusion. They just did not get it, and I'm not sure how to better explain it.

Any suggestions?

3. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Nov 7, 2011

I know nothing about ELL, but maybe you could use some sort of a web or graphic organizer, i.e., with "dog" in the middle and then characteristics/details about the dog around the outside.

I have also seen a "table" model, with the main idea being the table top and the details being the legs.

4. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Nov 7, 2011

Smart Board?

Do you have a smart board? I know that there are several activities on smart exchange that are divided into grade levels. I remember using some with my third graders that start with using pictures and then build up to passages.

5. sewlo

sewlo Rookie

Nov 8, 2011

I don't know if your school has a subscription to BrainPOP Jr., but it is a great resource. I believe you can get a free trial to check things out. They have a great video on main idea/supporting details that they might enjoy. http://www.brainpopjr.com/readingandwriting/comprehension/mainidea/

Then I would suggest doing a simple graphic organizer as a class. With dog in the middle (even with a picture) and a few details branching off it. You could start off with a picture of a dog and branch off with color, size, etc. Then try a short paragraph or easy book.

Hope this helps!