Help, lost

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by justateacher123, Oct 26, 2017.

1. justateacher123

justateacher123 Rookie

Oct 26, 2017

I want to start out by saying that, I used to feel confident that I was a good, motivated, happy teacher. During my ST I worked with a very strict teacher who was impressed.

I spent my first year teaching in a wonderful district that I loved. I jumped up ready to go when my alarm went off everyday. I was told by my team members they'd be surprised if I never got teacher of the year.

But I got cut. The budget was really bad. It was heartbreaking. Nobody was hired this year, including us on temporary contracts.

Then I took a position in a horrible, horrible school... in a horrible district... and I just feel lost... People don't smile here. They don't respond to goodmorning. I hear screaming at children all day. I feel like I work in a prison. I am of afraid of my students families... and my students are all well below grade level... they were grouped that way on purpose.

I'm not exactly sure why I went through with this. I spent all summer hoping to find a way out of it. I cried everyday after new teacher orientation.

I've never settled for anything in my life. I've never been around children I don't enjoy working with. I am so lost. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Oct 26, 2017

Hey there! Sorry to hear about your predicament - it sounds like you ended up at one of several schools that I used to work at. Even though I've retired, I can vividly recall the same dreaded feeling of despair and emptiness as I walked through those smelly halls of learning. Like you, I too had the opportunity to experience schools on both sides of the fence (Stanford and inner-city).

Make good use of your positive experiences at your first school to help you cope with your current situation. It's impossible to get used to colleagues who don't acknowledge your existence, but that doesn't mean you have to become like them. Keep a stiff upper lip and show everyone including the principal how teachers in "healthy" school interact with each other - in other words, you can model good professional behavior for them every day! It will do wonders for your mental health.

Sometimes teachers at the worst schools have the most freedom - they can choose to either do very little and maintain the status quo or develop innovative ways of helping their students. If you should happen to have a do nothing, don't care principal, you might like to see how I responded to a dire situation at a chronically low-performing school and maybe pick up a few helpful tips. Just type in the search words intelligent intervention welcome to see what I did behind closed doors. Hang in there!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  4. justateacher123

justateacher123 Rookie

Oct 26, 2017

I couldn't help but laugh at smelly halls of learning... I have never, ever, walked into such a stinky, dim cafeteria in my life. It's definitely a hold your nose kind of thing daily.

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 26, 2017

My first year in the district I work for I got a job as a 5th grade teacher. I thought I would love it as I had loved it in the past. But I had previously spent 8 years in kindergarten. I thought about it all summer hoping the principal would call me to tell me I was moving to another grade. Of course that didn't happen. So I went to work and honestly hated just about every second of it. The team was tough, the curriculum was tough, and the assistant principal never found anything nice to say about me. NEVER. I literally would have quit but another teacher ended up leaving before thanksgiving break due to something with her husband and I just couldn't do it. But thankfully, I survived. I prayed A LOT! My principal moved me to first and I am so much the happier. Last year I had a very difficult and low class, but I made it. This year has honestly been the best year yet. It's taken me 4 years to get to this point. I know what I am doing, I feel confident, I have a class that is pretty amazing. So I don't know if these are words of wisdom but hang in there!

6. justateacher123

justateacher123 Rookie

Oct 26, 2017

I'm not sure if it does. I've always been confident and happy. But I have just been miserable in this school environment...